Inability of WindowsXP to read ".jwl" files

Nagpur 11:28 14 May 2007

When I had a computer operating on Windows 98SE I had a CD Writer using Memorex software namely Adaptec Easy CD Creator v4.02 and DirectCD v3.01. It worked well and I made many super CD labels, or sleeves, using this.

Now I have a new computer operating on WindowsXP and I can’t open or print any of my CD Label files I created which all have the suffix “.jwl”

What further software, preferably free, do I need that WindowsXP will deign to recognise so that I can open and print these labels/covers/sleeves?

VoG II 11:32 14 May 2007

I think that you would need to install Easy CD Creator click here

silverous 11:35 14 May 2007

Do you have Adaptec Easy CD Creator installed on your new machine?

It appears that the files are specific to Adaptec (which I believe may have been bought by Roxio and then Sonic as per click here) On that basis you would need a copy of their software to maintain them, I'm not aware of any free software to do this as it is a fairly niche file format.

feb 11:44 14 May 2007

I read this somewhere!

push ALT-Prt Scr (Print Screen button on your keyboard) and then open up a graphics program like Paintbrush or Photoshop. Then do a Paste (CTRL-V) into this program.

It will dump a screenshot in and you can manipulate it.

silverous 11:46 14 May 2007

How's that going to work if he can't open them ?

feb 12:15 14 May 2007

It's already been stated that you need the adaptec program to open them, my suggestion would enable them to be opened on another machine with the program installed and then converted to a Jpeg format. That way Nagpur would not need to install the adaptec program onto his own pc!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough at first!

silverous 13:40 14 May 2007

Requiring him to have access to another machine with the program installed on it, which he may not have hence his post.

Nagpur 14:55 15 May 2007

I have only one computer, which operates on WindowsXP and won't recognise Memorex software packages namely Adaptec Easy CD Creator v4.02 and DirectCD v3.01. That software came to me on disc when the CD Writer was installed in my now scrapped computer some years after I bought it.
Moreover it seems that these two software packages cannot now be upgraded from either click here or click here or anywhere else so that they can "talk" to WindowsXP.
So what I want now is to buy, on disc or download, software which enables me to print my existing ".jwl" files, which are of CD Sleeves and are 120mm by 120mm in size, and of which I have over 30, on my present computer.

TonyM 15:12 15 May 2007

You are a victim of "progress" otherwise know as "inbuilt obsolescence" , your version of Easy CD Creator is not compatible with XP - which is a way that companies can force you to give them more money for a newer version of a program that you already have. I think your only option is to buy the latest version ...now called "Easy Media Creator 9" ... available for about £45 (click here) as a download from Roxio, or you could have a look on Ebay for a copy of Easy CD Creator 5 (or later) which will run on XP...that will probably not cost more than £5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?