Inability to connect to internet wireless connxn.

User-1274320 23:54 19 Jun 2008

Help wanted to understand why I can't connect to the internet...
Have an old Time PC which runs XP (like a dog) due to the CPU being a Pentium II but it does run. However, even though it doesn't have an ethernet card it has a dongle which sees the Tiscali wireless router and an icon states that the PC is connected but it resolutely refuses to connect to a web page. The consistent message is "WWW.***** could not be found...." The IP address falls within range of addresses controlled by router. Router is a wireless Siemens F5C367. Firewalls de-activated on the PC for the moment.

Other PC's connected to same router network LAN are two desktops via ethernet cable and one (remote) laptop via a dongle. All happy connecting to the web as and when required.

Clearly; there is some setting somewhere that is not set correctly and is disabling a connection.

Any thoughts???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:26 20 Jun 2008

FIrst ensure the security key is correct on the dongles softwrae.

second if the router has Mac filtering is the dongles mac address in the routers acepted page.

third check internet settings - connections tab - automatically detect settings is ticked.

User-1274320 23:45 22 Jun 2008

Thanks FB. I'm sure key is correct for the software and the settings are OK. Although I can find the MAC address via ipconfig it is a no show on the router. Hence; still no connection... DHCP is enabled but a ping of the router fails each time. What do you recommend next??

woodchip 23:49 22 Jun 2008

Not all Dongles work With all Computers I found that out on a Laptop I had

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires