Improving Wireless Network Coverage

User-0DA8C725-0C8D-4923-90DD73D87909B101 19:18 29 Aug 2004

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered - couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a search.

I have just installed a Netgear WG834G router via ethernet cable to main pc and wireless connect to modem/router on my laptop via a notebook card (Netgear WG511). After early traumas (!!) it now works fine. I live in quite a big victorian house - router is based in back room used as a study - can get an excellent signal in the nearby kitchen - the lounge only offers a minimal signal and drops regularly. The bedroom offers no signal. I have read improving wireless coverage on the Netgear site. Any suggestions about how I can increase coverage throughout the house - e.g. is it possible to buy something that acts like a 'relay' station to boost signals across a wider area or am I confined to using my bb connection in the kitchen!!?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Diand

merc. 19:22 29 Aug 2004

Diand
You can buy a repeater to send the single further through your house.

look at the broadbandbuyer site

merc

mco 19:47 29 Aug 2004

Hi diand - I posted similar a few days ago -it's the old problem of living in a solid brick Victorian house - my best room for reception is the bathroom!! I've come round to thinking about a repeater too (saw one for £79.00 in PC world) but if you get yours before I've saved up for mine, let me know if you have any success.

Thanks to both of you. I had a look around and found one on dabs.com for £60. PC World told me that there wasn't anything that would do the job - so much for their 'informed advice'! However, I have bought a 50ft ethernet cable and have moved the router to a different location and now have wireless coverage to a 'very good' or 'excellent' level throughout the house - no loss of speed. At £20 for the cable it was a cheap option.
Thanks for your speedy help.

_plAsma 22:35 30 Aug 2004

ive been looking for how to do that to! thanks very much! :>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?