Improper CPU Speed Setting

Walnut 17:27 29 Jan 2006

Evesham Axis 1400 WK Computer, Athlon 1400 CPU, 512 Mb PC2100 DDR DIMM, Asus A7A266 Mobo, approx. 4.5 years old.

Now needs several attempts to boot up and when it does goes into the BIOs with the falling message, "During the last boot-up, your system hung for improper CPU Speed setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU speed setting conforms to the specification of your CPU". The speed setting in the BIOS is set at 1400. I have spotted an earlier comment in the forum about the CMOS and the battery so fitted a new battery and re-set the BIOS. No improvement. Could it be the CPU and or mobo? If so can you obtain replacements that are compatible?

Walnut

JWJH 17:35 29 Jan 2006

Go into your BIOS and look for a setting "Load Optimized Defaults" set this and F10 to save and exit to reboot.

Walnut 17:50 30 Jan 2006

Sorry JWJH, tried what you suggested which was what happened when I fitted a new battery, and no improvement at all.

wobblymike 19:22 30 Jan 2006

I have recently had a very similar experience, eventually I had to dump logic and replace components until I fixed it - it turned out to be the mobo even though it had pased every diagnostic test I could throw at it. Have you run any such tests it might be useful to do so - I recommend you use PC Check if you can get hold of it, it's a great utility works off a bootable floppy. If you can't get hold of one I'm happy to "loan" you one if it will help.

Press Man 19:54 30 Jan 2006

Could be faulty or failing memory. Try another "stick" of memory if you have one?

woodchip 22:24 30 Jan 2006

In BIOS it should be set to FSB 133

Walnut 19:43 31 Jan 2006

Wobblymike I think you are correct, it is a motherboard problem and not a BIOS one. Difficult to get hold of motherboard that is compatable with existing CPU and other items attached to it. Does this mean a new computer? Any help would be appreciated.

wobblymike 22:31 01 Feb 2006

Walnut
An Athlon 1.4 is not that rare and should work in a range of mobos - I guess its a Socket A (462) CPU - try googling it there are a range of gigabyte or ASUS boards that should do the trick

Failing all that a new mobo and CPU at the same sort of speed as your existing one should be pretty easy to find on e bay at a reasonable cost - e.g I have recently bought a Gigabyte 71Xe4 and 1.1 GHZ AMD processor less than £20 inc postage - it can be done if you are patient.

Skyver 22:51 01 Feb 2006

Drop the FSB to 100. If the chip has overheated at any time but not burnt itself out it can prevent it from ever operating at it's full speed. You'll still be operating at 1GHz or so.

ed-0 22:52 01 Feb 2006

This will take your amd 1400 and your PC2100 ram click here for £20

ed-0 22:54 01 Feb 2006

It depends if it is a 100Mhz or 133Mhz cpu. I thought it was the 100Mhz model. That mobo will take both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?