Impossible To Close Microsoft Outlook Live Account

kinger 11:31 11 Jan 2008

For a couple of years I've had a Microsoft Outlook Live account but, to be honest, I never used it to it's fullest potential and now wish to cancel the automatic renewal on it.

The renewal reminder I received from Microsoft states that, If I need to cancel the account go to ... and there is a link.

It takes you to your online account details.

When I click CANCEL ACCOUNT, nothing happens.

So I wrote an email to the customer services.

The reply came stating that they can't cancel it in this manner ... go here. Another link.

This took me to a different page, so I emailed customer services here.

The reply came stating that it wasn't the correct department, go here. Yet another link.

This one was to a 'page not found'.

I have now written to the main Microsoft Site asking how to cancel.

The reply came ... more links back to original site.

I found a new 'Cancel my account' button hidden in with my account details. It causes the cursor to spin but, guess what, no cancel page appears.

Looking around Google, I find that there are several mentions about not being able to cancel using 'cancel' on Microsoft Outlook Live accounts.

Is this Microsoft's way of getting an extra payment from you as, once you've paid (my renewal is due in Feb), there are no refunds allowed.

Can anyone tell me how I cancel this account, please?

birdface 12:39 11 Jan 2008

I suppose that you could notify your bank to stop any payments to Microsoft or to the name of the account that you have.Then worry about canceling it on line.As I don't use Microsoft outlook I am unable to help with your problem.Best of luck.Just wondering if it is worth a phone call to Microsoft at Reading.I am sure someone will have the phone number handy for you.

kinger 14:55 11 Jan 2008

Hi Buteman, thanks for replying.

I have since found an American telephone number that I may be able to use to contact MS directly.

I'm not sure it'll still be live as it was taken from an old posting.

I think you're right about the telephone being the only hope, although MS don't give out numbers easily.

The credit card company say that they don't control the outgoing of funds. As MS have my number and I authorised them to take it, they're doing nothing wrong.

It's up to me to cancel it, they say.

Only problem is, of course, MS don't make it easy to do so, which is totally unfair in my book.

Almost everything I use is associated with Microsoft and I've paid hundreds for operating systems recently, so to cancel a thirty odd pound subscription ought to be a click of a button in my account, as far as I'm concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?