Importing saved mail dbx files onto new system

darkjedimistress 19:24 01 Feb 2004

Hi there.

I have saved all my outlook dbx files on a cd rom and want to import them to a recently installed copy of Win XP. How can I import the files from the CDRom onto the HDD so things can be as they were before?

powerless 19:26 01 Feb 2004

Just copy them to the store folder of outlook express.

Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder.

darkjedimistress 19:35 01 Feb 2004

C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents

is where it stores my emails and I have cut and paste the dbx files to here but when I open outlook none of my folders are showing up.

Have I done something wrong?

darkjedimistress 19:40 01 Feb 2004

I checked where you suggested and it showed a pathway that didnt exist, it went something like docs&setting/john/local settings/appsdata/identities/load of numbers/microsoft/outlook

but this tree didnt exist, I got as far as the username john but the local setting folder wasnt there so I changed it so mail goes to the MYDOCUMENTS Folder cause I dont use that one

powerless 19:43 01 Feb 2004

That is because by default the store folder of OE is hidden so you cannot see it....

If you copy the long path then click Start and Run now paste and then click OK.

This will open the store folder.

DieSse 20:08 01 Feb 2004

Copy the files into a folder (call it, say oldmails) on your hard drive.

Start Outlook Express and go to File - Import - Messages. Choose import from a store folder. Browse to the folder (NOT into it) - then they should import OK.

You may need to clear the "Read-Only" attributes after you have put them onto the hard drive.

VoG II 20:13 01 Feb 2004

click here= may help

VoG II 20:14 01 Feb 2004

Link not working fully - click on it then on "Bootcamp" in left panel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?