Importing Outlook messages into Outlook Express

Darren-512879 20:53 22 Jun 2006

I've just got a new computer and am trying to import the messages from my Outlook program on old PC into Outlook Express on new PC.

So I follow the instructions but as soon as I click on Outlook when asked to select which program to import from I get the following error message.

"messages cannot be imported from the mapi client"

Any ideas?

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:00 22 Jun 2006

Configure Outlook Express to not be the default Simple MAPI client before you import the mail items. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then start Outlook Express.

2. On the Tools menu, click Options.

3. On the Connection tab, click Change to open the Internet Properties dialog box.

4. On the Programs tab, click an e-mail application other than Outlook Express in the E-mail list. Click Apply, and then click OK.

5. Click OK again to close the Options dialog box.

6. Exit Outlook Express, and then restart Outlook Express.

You can now import or export messages.

Darren-512879 21:07 22 Jun 2006

Thanks...but that doesn't seem to work??

Terry Brown 21:13 22 Jun 2006

You can Import your Emails by opening outlook, going to File , Import , ,other address book, which gives you more control over the system, however I suggest the folowing:- Create a folder on your machine with the emails on. Open the Outlok program and the created folder(Use Tile vertically (from task bar)to see both screens and then either drag the Emails to the new folder or Highlight & copy (Cut) & paste. This will save your Emails as files in theoir own right with extention eml (*.eml). You canb then do anything with those files you can do with a normal file. On opening they will start your Email client.
Terry

Darren-512879 21:24 22 Jun 2006

you mean drag my outlook.pst file somewhere onto Outlook Express?

Sorry don't mean to be dense but I'm struggling!

Terry Brown 09:22 23 Jun 2006

First-- Ignore the PST file.

Create an empty folder in my documents. Open Outlook as normal. If it opens to full screen, check the 3 boxes on the top right of your screen. The middle box should be a single square, if not click it to reduce the size of the outlook program.Still leaving Outlook on the screen, go to my documents and open the empty folder you created, again if it opens full size, click the box as per outlook. This will give you 2 screens on the front page.**Move the mouse to the task bar (Normally bottom of the screen) . Find an empty space and right click.Select ' Tile windows Vertically'. This will open both windows side by side. (If you have any other windows open minimise them and repeat from **.
Highlight the Emails you want to keep and drag from the outlook screen to the new folder. The will automaticly save as *.eml files, where you can treat them as any other files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?