importing emails to new pc

Wrinkly1 15:30 29 Nov 2004

New pc has XP with Service Pack 2. How can I import emails from my old pc which had ME to new pc. These have been stored on CD in .dbx format.

BurrWalnut 15:35 29 Nov 2004

Just copy them (inbox.dbx, etc.) to the current location which can be found in OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance Tab, Store Folder.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:17 29 Nov 2004

Start Outlook Express on the old PC, click on "Export" under the File menu, and then click "Address Book".

Select the "Text File (Comma Separated Values)", and then click "Export".

Type a descriptive name in the "Save Exported File As" box, click Browse, click on "My Documents" folder as your destination drive in the "Save In" box, and then click "Save".
Click "Next", then click the appropriate check boxes to select the fields you want to export in the "Select the fields you wish to export" box, and then click Finish.

After the *.csv file got moved over to the new PC, start Outlook Express, point to "Import" on the "File" menu, and then click "Address Book".
NOTE: To import a comma-separated file in Outlook Express 5, point to "Import" on the "File" menu, click "Other Address Book", click "Text File (Comma Separated Values)," and then click "Import". Skip to step 8.

Click "Text File (Comma Separated Values)", and then click "Import".

Click "Browse", click the appropriate location "My Documents" folder, click the file name you typed in step 3, click "Open", and then "Next".

Click the appropriate check boxes to select the fields you want to import in the "Map the fields you wish to import" box, and then click "Finish".

If you receive a message "Would you like to replace the existing entry with the import entry?", click "Yes To All" to replace all duplicate entries, and then quit Outlook Express.

Wrinkly1 17:31 29 Nov 2004

Success with the address book but the inbox/sent mail etc do not seem to have a home to go to on the new XP system.

BurrWalnut 19:36 29 Nov 2004

To make it easy I suugest you move the location of the mail boxes.

1.Go to My computer double-click the C drive (usually), File, New, Folder and name it Mail Boxes or something similar.
2. Open OE. If it hasn't been used before you will have to set up the account but once you have, go to the Maintenance Tab, Store folder and browse to C:\Mail Boxes. Quit OE.
3. Put your CD in and copy all the *.dbx files to C:\My Mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?