Important DNS problem with CNAME records...

Gaz 25 17:51 08 Feb 2006

Hi,

I was using Hn.org, because basically I have an address like loadbalance.loadbalancedomain.com which has a list of A records for about 8 routers, which forward the traffic then onto the servers. Reason for this, loadbalancing, etc.

Now, basically - the problem is... i have an address, mydomain.com which has a cname to loadbalance.loadbalancedomain.com and a click here to loadbalance.loadbalancedomain.com as well as a * cname to loadbalance.loadbalancedomain.com

However, click here works, joe.mydomain.com works... BUT... mydomain.com doesn't.

It won't work, because you HAVE to have an A record for the qualified domain to work, otherwise it violates RFC, so BIND won't accept it..

Ok, so try Xname.org. They use BIND, so no use.

I bought Simple DNS server, 5 zone, this didn't work as well, all required A records... and then... tried the Win server 03 DNS, same...

So hn.org did a simple cname, but NO other dns server or service can get mydomain.com, you MUST have www. infront, or a subdomain of mydomain.com for it to work..

Most people don't put www.

So, how can I get my site back to how it was with hn.org?

Thanks in advance.

So I added a

Softstag 23:53 08 Feb 2006

I'm not sure this is the best forum for asking questions about DNS. This is complex stuff, and I doubt many people here will have experience of DNS, never mind load balancing.

Have you tried click here ZoneEdit offer some excellent DNS features, mostly for free. I use them for my website. I know they allow load balancing and configuring multiple A records and a CNAME record.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017