Importance of graphics card for streaming video

The Belarussian Mafia 15:40 22 May 2006

How important is the graphics card for streaming live content? What I particularly have in mind is receiving a high quality webcam stream on a laptop with just integrated graphics (using broadband).

Gongoozler 15:46 22 May 2006

I don't think it's very important at all. The high cost of some graphics cards is all aimed at high speed 3d gaming needs. Any half decent modern graphics card should have no trouble handling webcam video.

The Belarussian Mafia 16:52 22 May 2006

OK, sounds like a laptop with no graphics card (i.e. integrated graphics) should do the job.

Gongoozler 16:57 22 May 2006

I think so, but keep this thread open for a time just in case someone disagrees with me.

pj123 17:09 22 May 2006

I have "onboard" graphic (64mb shared) on a Win 98SE system with a 2000 xp athlon processor and 256mb ram minus the 64mb the graphics is using leaving 192mb ram.

I run streamed video (mostly from the BBC) on a 2mb BB connection, no problems whatsoever.

The Belarussian Mafia 17:33 22 May 2006

Sorted: I can tell my mate the laptop he is considering buying will do the job. (His main aim is to stream live pictures while using MSN Messenger to talk with family in New Zealand).

Many thanks Gongoozler & pj123!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?