import messages into outlook 2010

dobbin 19:15 20 Jun 2010

I am trying to import my email messages from Outlook Express onto a new desktop fitted with Outlook 2010 und running windows 7.

I have saved the messages to a folder on the new desktop but when I go to the import wizard in Outlook 2010 it does not give me the option to navigate to the folder where they are stored and just says one message saved.

Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Sea Urchin 19:25 20 Jun 2010

Messages are saved in a different file type in Outlook and OE - this guide should help you to complete the transfer

click here

Sea Urchin 19:27 20 Jun 2010

PS Don't worry that it mentions Outlook 2003 - the same method should apply in your case

dobbin 19:30 20 Jun 2010

Sea urchin, thanks I have already read this link and followed it completely, but nothing happens.

Sea Urchin 19:42 20 Jun 2010

Do you have Windows Mail installed on the new desktop? You need to import the messages into WM first - then you can import them from there into Outlook.

dobbin 20:12 20 Jun 2010

no, i don't have windows mail installed. I think they stopped windows mail with windows 7 and I don't think it's available to download, that's why I bought Outlook 2010.

Sea Urchin 20:19 20 Jun 2010

Yes of course you are correct - but you can download Windows Live Mail which will then import into Outlook - from here

click here

How to import into Outlook

click here

dobbin 20:24 20 Jun 2010

I hate windows live mail and was trying to avoid it. However I will give it a go if that's the only way of doing it.

Sea Urchin 22:12 20 Jun 2010

You can uninstall WLM afterwards - but you just need it as a channel to get your mail into Outlook.

dobbin 07:20 21 Jun 2010

I certainly will uninstall it afterwards. It's amazing that by 2010 Microsoft have still not devised a one step method of importing emails from one of their own programmes into another of their own programmes. Thanks for your help Sea Urchin, I will have a go at it tonight.

dobbin 21:38 22 Jun 2010

well at last I have succesfully installed all the emails into Outlook by downloading windows live mail first. However every time I click on an imported email a message pops up saying:-

"The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an outlook form instead. The object could not be found."

If you click ok you can read the message as normal. What does this mean and is there any way I can stop the window popping up? It's most annoying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache