Impending disk failure

MuDelta 22:29 21 Feb 2009

In System event viewer, I am getting the message “The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.” But I am not sure to which disk it refers – how do I find out and should I take it to mean what it say or what?

tullie 22:33 21 Feb 2009

It will be the one you are using,usually the C drive.Have you got two hard drives?

Kevscar1 07:10 22 Feb 2009

Go into device manager harddisks right click click properties. It might tell you there

woodchip 08:40 22 Feb 2009

If you only have a Recovery Disc for your Drive, you need to buy a new disc and put it in a USB Caddy Either Clone with XXCOPY, or use Acronis to save all to the new Drive Then fit it in the Comp click here

MuDelta 10:40 22 Feb 2009

tullie, I have three hard disks, one came with my machine 2 years ago, one I installed recently and refugee from my old computer which died in a lightening strike. Since my post, the refugee is showing that that programmes on it are not available. It looks as of it is the one in danger of death. Following a restart the program is accessible. Erratic behavior.

MuDelta 10:41 22 Feb 2009

Kevscar, device manager on help.

MuDelta 10:51 22 Feb 2009

Oops! not on help but no help!

Pamy 11:25 22 Feb 2009

Device\Harddisk0\DR0 I think DR0 is Drive 0 and drive 0 is usually your C: drive, If tyou kno the make of drive you can download diagnostic software from their site and check out the disk

crosstrainer 11:46 22 Feb 2009

Your drive is failing. SMART is reporting that it's on it's way out. Backup all data and replace.

If it is your boot drive (c:) then you will need to either reinstall windows or use a backup soloution such as:

click here

MuDelta 10:57 26 Feb 2009

Pammy.
Did that. Maxtor diagnostic shows my refugee to be faulty.

Crosstrainer.

Used my backup - just in time; the refugee disk has just died!

Thanks all for your advice.

MDM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?