Immediate desktop access

el10 07:57 23 Oct 2006

Dear sir
I read your answer to John Hadley re Unwanted login and I applied it to myself. It did not solve my problem.
I do not need neither a user account nor a password. No one else uses my computer. I find it annoying to have to log in and after having logged in I have to log in again after my computer remained idle for a while. In the past I did not have this problem. My desktop remained as desktop with a screen saver (in my case blank screen)after being idle, but not now.
Thank you Elio Crivello

birdface 08:46 23 Oct 2006

Hi, In help and support it say's When box comes up.Type in user name,In password, Type your password, Select remember my password and check box, Click dont ask for password again,

el10 17:54 27 Oct 2006

Thank you Buteman for your help but I cannot get the options you suggest in your answer.
Basically I would like to access my desktop without having an account.

anskyber 18:02 27 Oct 2006

I note from the picture on the topic in PCA that there is a box saying, if checked, that users must enter etc. I think if this is left unchecked you should be OK. Incidentally don't forget to click apply before "OK"

birdface 00:22 28 Oct 2006

I may be wrong , But I think you need an account to Access web sites,How else can you download things that you need,Once signed in, It is your choice ,Either to use a password, or not to use password,But first you have to sign in as Guest or administrator, Once you have signed in ,Like I said it's your choice,,I dont use password,But I have a few grandaughters that use my computer that I know go into site's that i have told them not to,That is why that I am concidering putting a password in,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?