Imaging New Install Windows XP

Astrid 16:23 19 Jul 2008

After problems with my computer I've had a complete reinstall of Windows XP SP2 and now everything is working fine. I've reinstalled my most important data and software and have still only used 6.62 GB. My slave drive, D:\, however, contains 39 GB. I've lost a lot of the dross in the reinstall, but am not sure how I ought to go about imaging with Acronis 11 my 'new' hard drive. I've Googled this topic but there seems to be so many options - has anyone a certain way of doing this? I also decided, on advice, to wait a while before downloading SP3 - is this good advice?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 19 Jul 2008

I also decided, on advice, to wait a while before downloading SP3 - is this good advice?

No

Download and install SP3

then make a full copy of the C: partition and save to an external media i.e. DVD or an external drive.

woodchip 21:41 19 Jul 2008

You are Best to Create a Image NOW, this need to be saved first to the other Partition the Copied to a External Drive. You choose Backup in Acronis not incremental Create a Full Image Select medium Compression Levels Write a note in the Box so you remember what you have done before creating the Image. When Creating Image check each page before moving to next, so that you find the page for the above settings

MarvintheAndroid 22:30 19 Jul 2008

Agree. I wish more people would do this !!

Marv

Astrid 08:55 20 Jul 2008

Thanks. I'll download SP3 and image drive C:\, but do I first format drive D:\ or merely delete all the folders?

Diemmess 09:04 20 Jul 2008

~~~~~~~~~ "but do I first format drive D:\ or merely delete all the folders?" ~~~~~~~~~

Neither if you are going to store recent image/s of C: on D:
The images will store there like any other file or even in a named new folder.

It is if or when you Restore an image to (C:) that all the existing contents of C: (good or bad) are overwritten with this "good" clone.

woodchip 14:03 20 Jul 2008

I would Image it before SP3

Astrid 14:58 20 Jul 2008

Thank you for suggestion re external drive. Is there an especially recommended one, i.e. reliability prime consideration?

woodchip 17:16 20 Jul 2008

I made my own with a Caddy and my own drive. Seagate is the way to go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?