image editing program

miss b 20:29 16 May 2003

if theres anybody who knows where i can get information such as how it works, what it is used for and an example of these programs so that they can be compared by price etc i would be greatful

thanx

Forum Editor 20:42 16 May 2003

of such applications - some excellent, some good, and a lot not so good.

I regularly use an excellent program called PhotoImpact, which is superb
click here for more information about that.

Other forum users will have their own favourites, including Adobe Photoshop which I also use a lot.

Prices vary a lot, and if you're just starting out with image editing you might prefer to try a free program until you get the hang of things.
click here to take a look at a very popular download called Irfanview. It doesn't have the range of editing tools that you'll get with the heavyweight applications, but it's worth exploring.

For some useful background information about image editing take a look at this
click here

irfanview (with all its plugins and shell extensions) is a program that everyone should have regardless of any other gfx software they have . for more advanced work and the abilty to paint and manipulate layers I would recommend THE GIMP which is open source freeware so costs nothing if you dont like it , it has most of the power of photoshop and there are hundreds of tutorials on the net.

Rubroy 22:20 16 May 2003

Both my daughter and I use Paint Shop Pro 7 which is almost as good as the flagship Photoshop and a lot less money. We have each tried both and agree that PSP is the bees knees. It has a good on-line manual which is well laid out but if you buy the packeted version I believe it comes with printed manual. Can't be sure of this since we started with PSP 5 and moved on. Daughter is a teacher and uses the programme for dozens of applications. She lives a long way from me but we keep in touch. I use it almost exclusively for photo-manipulation from a digital camera and for restoring old scanned prints which I have going back to the 1860's. Colour correction is terrific, so is contrast and the clone tool is quite indispensible. (Great if you want to change shape in a photo or remove something from it!)Other more advanced usage, like changing the colour of a dress for example, takes time to learn but is well worth the trouble - and no, I am not on commision - I retired five years ago when I was 70.

-pops- 06:43 17 May 2003

I'm a Paint Shop Pro fan as well.

Version 8 is about to be launched so you might find some special offers on it

-pops- 06:44 17 May 2003

Sorry, missed the link click here

Spencus 07:35 17 May 2003

ComputerActives "The Instant Guide to Digital Photos" have just reviewed the leading Photo editing software click here and look up Supplements & Booklets

Bebee 08:02 17 May 2003

If you want to try Photoshop Elements, the 'home' version of Photoshop, there is a 30 day trial download at click here - worth a try. I like it, but can't really compare with other suggestions. PaintShop Pro is always highly regarded though. There are plenty of other options - Serif do some good digital imaging programs at reasonable prices click here

Belatucadrus 10:47 17 May 2003

There are a selection of freeware image editors that are well worth looking at, Some are highly rated. Here are the links to their developers sites :-

The Gimp click here

Photoplus 5 click here

Pixia click here

Dogwaffle click here

I'm also fairly sure that one of the other computer magazines has a copy of Paintshop Pro 5 on cover disk at the moment, may be worth checking a newsagent.

otubby1 11:23 17 May 2003

Just had a look at your link for The Gimp. I have used PSP for as long as I can remember but it looks pretty good.

One question. Which, of the multitude of files, is the one to download the programme?

0tubby1 click here for the gimp installer for windows, you need to down load and instal the gtk runtime environment first. this page is a little easier to understand than the first page. the gimp rules and its FREE. click here to see some gimp output

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?