Im trying 2 find cheap wireless lan PC> 3 laptops

itsall2much 01:15 15 Dec 2005

I have recently purchased 3x secondhand Dell C640 latitude laptops for my 3 children and i want to find the most cost effective way to link them to my DELL desktop without several cables to trip over. I want them to be able to use the ADSL conection in thier own rooms which is where they spend most of their time, and stop them huffing and puffing at me when they cant chat on msn etc. when i am trying to work. It was hard to part with the hard earned for the laptops in the first place and they are being a bit spoiled this christmas and it is leaving us a bit short so i am trying to keep the conection costs to a minimum. i would realy apreciate any help i can get with this one.
The kids deserve it for sure i would rather see them enjoy it than lock it up somewhere.

Taff™ 10:37 15 Dec 2005

You need an ADSL Wireless Router/Modem and then wireless enable each PC. click here The main tower can use either an internal card or a Wireless USB adapter. Similarly the laptops will need either a PCMCIA wireless card or USB adapters. I notice that the laptops only have one USB slot so the cards would be better leaving the USB port free for a printer perhaps.

click here= for a router with one bundled USB adapter. click here= for additional USB adapters. Or cheaper one`s click here (I`ve used these and they`re OK - just not as robust as the D-Link but half the price roughly.)

PCMCIA Cards click here

The above are only examples but it gives you somewhere to start.

mgmcc 13:42 15 Dec 2005

As Taff™ says, you do really need a combined Wireless Router/ADSL Modem to be able to run four computers off the single broadband connection.

There is an alternative and that is to install Wireless Network Adapters in each PC and set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network. This is a network in which the computers communicate directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point (as with a router).

"Internet Connection Sharing" would then be enabled on the actual Internet Connection (modem connection) in your PC and the networked laptops would have internet access provided your PC was running and online.

This is not as reliable a method as using a router but would avoid the additional cost of the router, although you would need four wireless adapters where three would do with a router (connecting your PC by cable).

itsall2much 09:29 16 Dec 2005

Just a quick thank you to Taff and mgmcc for your pointers.

I am off to Plymouth PCWorld today armed with the info you have kindly forwarded to me.

I assure you if I set this up right you will catch the light glinting off my kids grins in to the sky from where ever you are for the next few months, or at least until the next dentist appointment. lol.

Thanks again

Regards itsall2much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires