I'm not very happy with Microsoft telling me what

pj123 13:37 17 May 2008

I can and can't send by email.

I was on Outlook Express but I now seem to be on Windows Live Mail.

I wanted to send a .jpg file to a friend but Live Mail stopped it saying it might contain a virus.

It is only a picture of my (new to me) car.

I did what MS suggested to get it sent, but why should I have to do that?

Forum Editor 14:19 17 May 2008

"I now seem to be on Windows Live Mail." but you don't explain what has caused this. The latest version of Outlook Express - the one that shipped with Vista - is called 'Windows mail', but it's Outlook Express in all but name - is this what you mean?

This really ought to be in the Helproom by the way, not Speakers Corner, and I'll move it across now.

pj123 14:52 17 May 2008

FE, I'm not sure how it happened.

When I used Outlook Express I had my ISP (NTL) as my default inbox with my Hotmail address listed as well.

In other words I could see that I had (say) 3 messages in my NTL inbox and (maybe) 6 messages in my Hotmail inbox.

I got told by MS that would not be possible anymore unless I changed to Windows Live Mail.

Which I did.

Does that make sense?

anskyber 14:56 17 May 2008

Yes, because Hotmail was not going to be linked to WM anymore but WLM was. Try zipping the pic then sending, it usually goes through.

Forum Editor 15:08 17 May 2008

Now that you've mentioned Hotmail it does make sense, yes.

Windows mail, the one that shipped with Vista, no longer supports http servers for web-based email like Hotmail, Googlemail, etc., so you can't use it to retrieve your Hotmail messages. That's not quite true, you can cobble together a workaround by using some third-party software, but it's a faff, and you can't send outbound mail using that system - it's best not to go there.

It seems to make sense to forget about Windows mail, and use Livemail for everything - it's actually very good.

pj123 15:18 17 May 2008

I'm not on Vista, but XP SP2.

I have just run msimn.exe and made it my default, so I am now back on Outlook Express and it still shows my NTL inbox and my Hotmail inbox.

I'm happy with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?