I`m losing control of the mouse

Buchan 35 19:57 03 Jun 2005

Hi everybody, I hope this goes out before my problem
manifests itself again. I was on `Ancient Learner`s` post in the chatroom when for no apparent reason my mouse took off with a life of it`s own. Start came up as did a number of normal drop downs and while this was happening my little mouse was tearing around the monitor at a great speed and I could`nt control it. Can anyone help please, because I did a scan with Avast!4, after a disc cleanup and defrag, followed by Spybot.

Jak_1 20:03 03 Jun 2005

How old is the mouse? Is the mouse a ball mouse or an optical mouse? What operating system are you running?

Does it move randomly round the screen when you touch it or even when left alone?

Normally this sort of thing means either the mouse is in need of cleaning/replacing or the mouse software has become corrupted.

Buchan 35 20:22 03 Jun 2005

OS XP PRO SP2, oldish system, mb MSI MS-6316, bus clock 100 megahertz, CPU AMD athlon 800 Mhz, RAM 512 Mb, Hdd 2x40Gb . The strange thing is, I cleaned the mouse today after cleaning the PC and because there was`nt a lot to clean I thought it could be the mouse but I`ve no way of checking this. Oh by the way, Avast!4, Win Optimiser Platignum 2 and the other anti malware say my PC is clean.

Technotiger 20:34 03 Jun 2005

Hi friend - is your mouse wireless/radio as opposed to wireless/infra red? If radio it is possible that someone living nearby also has a radio mouse on the same channel as yours. If this is the case, change your channel, there is a little switch on mouse to enable this. If it is NOT radio then it is possibly virus related or - after all that, if your mouse has a ball, then you probably need to remove ball and clean rollers inside mouse.

Phew - did I say all that? Hope something there helps anyway.

Cheers.

Technotiger 20:35 03 Jun 2005

- or -

reinstall mouse software.

Stuartli 09:34 04 Jun 2005

With all due respects the chances of someone else's mouse interfering with that of Buchan 35's setup (if it is a wireless version) is miniscule.

However, another remote control device in the same room might/could do so.

I would suspect flat batteries if it is a wireless mouse.

Buchan 35 11:37 04 Jun 2005

Not a wireless mouse, just an ordinary everyday
port compatible mouse type 2.0A. I did clean it as I do every two weeks so it`s not that. I thought it might be a virus so I ran cCleaner, Spybot, Adaware Microsoft anti software, Avast!4 and everything said i`m clean. I might try using a friends mouse just to point me somewhere. If that works OK I`ll pop into
PC World and buy a new one. I have`nt got the original software.

Buchan 35 20:01 04 Jun 2005

A mate`s mouse works OK so I`ll tick as resolved. Thanks for input everyone

Ancient Learner 21:08 04 Jun 2005

Thank goodness it wasn't me then, I was worried that it happened near me, sort of :)) Glad it's solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie