I'm in deep trouble!

slightlymad 23:30 15 Aug 2006

I've done something really stupid on a colleague's laptop. I used System Mechanic to automatically log on to XP Professional, and now it won't boot up and I'm in a blind panic!

It gets as far as the Windows loading screen then I get a black screen.

I can't reformat the hard drive either (which would be fine, as there's nothing on the laptop). All I get is the "Boot from CD" screen, then setup loads configuration files, then... just a black screen again.

Please can anyone help?

User-312386 23:33 15 Aug 2006

when starting start tapping F8 and see if you can get to safe mode

woodchip 23:37 15 Aug 2006

Keep pressing F8 then choose last known good config

slightlymad 23:39 15 Aug 2006

Sorry, I didn't mention that Safe Mode and Last Known good Config don't work either. I just get the Windows loading screen - the one with the progress bar - then NOTHING.

Oh gawd, I'm in such a state! I can't think of anything else I can do, unless there's something in the BIOS that can be fixed.

johnnyrocker 23:49 15 Aug 2006

personally my view is that your meddling has stuffed it. if it aint broke

johnny

slightlymad 23:56 15 Aug 2006

But all may not be lost! While I was typing my frantic messages, the screensaver kicked in on the laptop, then I jiggled the mouse and...

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your username and password are correct." Which I did, and got into Windows!

But when I shut down and restarted, the same thing happened - black screen.

If I wait then hopefully the screensaver/dialogue box thing will happen again, and I can get into user accounts. I'll keep you posted.

johnnyrocker 00:01 16 Aug 2006

try systenm restore in safe mode and thereafter leave well alone.

johnny.

slightlymad 00:02 16 Aug 2006

OK, well I have the Desktop - but no icons, no start menu, and hitting the Windows key doesn't do anything.

I've shut down and restarted and I'm going to log in as another user, when the dialogue box eventually comes up.

Back later.

slightlymad 00:10 16 Aug 2006

I've logged in as administrator, got the Desktop but no start button or icons.

Johhnyrocker - as I mentioned in my second post, I can't get into Safe Mode or last good configuration.

slightlymad 00:12 16 Aug 2006

I type my message, go back to lappy, and all the icons are on the screen! I'm hoping I will be able to fix it now. I'll come back with an update.

johnnyrocker 00:16 16 Aug 2006

and leave well alone afterwards,

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?