I'm confused about my broadband connection!

mco 00:31 20 Feb 2006

I shouldn't be - I set the thing up and networked it and it works fine.Trouble is, I can't see how! We have a Bt home network modem-cum-router which is plugged into the mains and also into phone line. It's connected to one pc via ethernet, one by Bt's own home PNA system (like ethernet but via phone lines) and three laptops wirelessly. But today the pc it sits next to and is connected to via etherent packed up - and when I removed it, the internet still worked fine on everything else. I'd always assumed it needed to be connected to that pc for the whole set up to work -but it doesn't. In fact, I tried it in another phone socket near another mains plug and it worked fine there. So my question is: how? Does it not need a main base station (or whatever the term is?) Is it because it's got a wireless card in it so it doesn't need a physical connection to anywhere?

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 20 Feb 2006

With a modem router combination, you don't neeed a pc connected to it after the initial setup.

[quote]Does it not need a main base station[/quote] - as you've said.

mco 09:12 20 Feb 2006

I get it now! Wish I'd known before as I've been wanting to move the router for a year to improve the signal but didn't have a space for phoneline, mains socket AND pc! Will tick resolved; thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?