I'm Confused

BT 08:48 10 Jun 2014
Answered

I received an Email from Virgin Media yesterday with a link to this page

Change the Email you use to sign in to Google

So I went ahead and created a new Gmail address.

This morning I received this Email from Google

*Dear Google Account holder: Thank you for adding Gmail to your Google Account. Your Gmail address and primary username is ********@gmail.com **You may continue to sign in with your old email address if you prefer: ****@ntlworld.com
Sincerely, The Google Accounts Team*

wiz-king 09:08 10 Jun 2014

Simples - you have joined the Google world takeover.

BT 10:58 10 Jun 2014

Virgin are saying that I won't be able to sign in with my .ntlworld email address. Google's Email says I can use my 'New' Gmail address or continue to use my ntlworld one if I prefer, that's what's confusing!

BT 11:05 10 Jun 2014

I believe Virgin's Email services are hosted by Gmail, so I really can't understand why they need to make this change.

spuds 11:52 10 Jun 2014

If you want to test for email on old or previous accounts, there might be a way. You would need to use your previous details including password etc. When using the site select one of the security methods before inputting details,on the list 'advance security' works well for best protection. The Mail2web link click here

BT 17:39 10 Jun 2014
Answer

Jock1e

"I still sign into my Ntlworld accounts without being part of G-mail you should not need to register with g-mail unless you are going to use that"

The NTL sign-in still works at the moment but if you read the VM blurb this will cease from 16th June and you will need to have a Gmail account to sign in. You don't actually have to use it for your mail but it will be needed to sign in to Google+ etc.

Forum Editor 23:15 10 Jun 2014

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

BT 08:54 11 Jun 2014

Jock1e

Its nothing to do with what Email program you are using, its to do with signing in to Google linked services. If you don't use any of these you probably won't need to do it. I use Outlook Express on my XP computer and Live Mail on my Win7 laptop and will continue to do so. As I said before Virgin Email service is hosted by Gmail and the new requirement is probably linked to this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone