I'm buying a new computer; which gfx card??

SLNevitt 18:09 09 Mar 2010

Hi there everyone, I'm about to buy a new computer since my old one is broken and decided I want a nice good one; especially for newish games and the like. I'm building it myself (with the help of my brother) but I want advice from other people so I know I'm getting the best possible deal!
So anyway, at this point I'm just unsure which graphics card I should buy.
If it is a necessary bit of information, I plan to buy this CPU:

The Q9400 Quad Core.

click here

Now regarding graphics, I was going to buy this:

Gainward Geforce 9800GT 1GB GDDR3

click here

To which I later found this one which I believe is the 'next step up' regarding Nvidia graphics cards (I'm not fully sure so please don't hesitate to correct me!)

Gainward GeForce GT 240 "Golden Sample" 512MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

click here

So in your professional opinions...which one should I buy?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
SLNevitt

Devil Fish 00:00 10 Mar 2010

what sort of budget are we looking at for the whole machine ?

SLNevitt 00:19 10 Mar 2010

Roughly low to middle £600ish - For games remember :) And that 600 will include the monitor as well as case, RAM etc etc etc - the only thing not included is ANY software or OS's - I'll deal with that separately :)

SLNevitt 00:22 10 Mar 2010

...but I do intend to spend a maximum of £100 I think on the GFX...if I get that CPU that is.

Kevscar1 11:57 10 Mar 2010

1GB Ram and that graphics card are not going to be able to play the latest games. If I remember rightly 2GB was the min rec for Vista, no idea what it is for Windows 7

SLNevitt 14:27 10 Mar 2010

No no you got it wrong! It's the graphics card that has 1GB on it, I plan to get 4GB RAM :)

Kevscar1 19:26 10 Mar 2010

Sorry due to certain things happening I,m getting confused lately. I would go for the later card GT240 and if you can afford it 1Gb version.

donki 10:01 11 Mar 2010

Is it an Nvidia card you are definitely after?
Just yesterday I upgraded my 8800GTS to a ATI 4870 1GB, my 8800 was good but the ATI is so much better. I picked it up off Ebay for £100, sealed in box. I am running COD4, Fallout and Mass Effect on full the card doesn't even cough!

Handy benchmarking tool that lists GFX cards by rank.

click here

SLNevitt 11:53 11 Mar 2010

Thanks for the help guys :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?