Iiyama ProLite E1908WSV flicker

Stonechatz 12:23 17 May 2009

This screen flickers a lot - and you can see very faint scan-lines passing up and down the screen? LCD at fault, or perhaps drivers?

ambra4 12:48 17 May 2009

What is the refresh rate of the monitor set at?

Stonechatz 13:14 17 May 2009

60 Hz
1680 x 1050

Stuartli 13:19 17 May 2009

The refresh rate is usually that suggested for TFT monitors, but you can try a slightly higher refresh rate.

Also ensure that the graphics card's drivers are up to date.

Another point is firm connection of the cables.

ambra4 13:23 17 May 2009

Update the display card driver and see if that help

If no change it look like the monitor might have a problem

Try a difference monitor and see if the same thing is happening

You should also try the monitor on a difference computer just to see if the monitor is the problem

Stonechatz 13:48 17 May 2009

Choice of refresh rates is 59Hz or 60Hz - same flicker for each rate

Diemmess 15:06 17 May 2009

ambra4's suggestion to try your monitor on another PC is a good one to rule the monitor at fault - or not.

If you have graphics integrated with the motherboard and a superior graphics card plugged in as well, you could try enabling the integral card in the BIOS and of course plugging in to the motherboard outlet instead of the card's socket.

Stonechatz 15:13 17 May 2009

I am using Vista Ultimate - the Iiyama drivers download does not include a driver for anything later than XP - will try using on another 'puter B4 I do anything radical.

Stonechatz 15:27 17 May 2009

My Lenovoo/IBM ThinkPad - there is absolutely no flicker whatsoever. It may (or may not) be to do with the fact that the VGA lead screws into its socket, whereas on the Sony Vaio it is just a push-fit - the screws being redundant... ???

Diemmess 18:08 17 May 2009

If I read you correctly and the monitor is OK with another computer, I would guess the answer is a failing graphics card rather than a poor connection. Now, you just have to try a different monitor on your original computer.

Check for bent pins on the lead plug, and bear in mind the socket on the computer may be cracked or dodgy in some way. It does happen all too easily with power sockets in a laptop for instance, they can be accidently jerked!

Stonechatz 19:50 17 May 2009

OK will hitch Sony Vaio to my 26" TV in monitor mode... wish me luck! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?