If it wasn't my hard-drive - what was it?

andy334 12:03 20 May 2008

I recently posted about problems with my hard-drive and the fact that I could no longer boot-up. Having tried everything I eventually tried a restore with the original recovery disks but to no avail - I ended up losing everything and still could not boot-up which I assumed meant that my hard-drive was totally corrupt.

Anyway, today I managed to obtain a used working hard-drive (from an older system I have) and I slotted this into my broken computer to discover the exact same problem was still there. This leads me to (possibly) believe that the original problem was not my hard-drive after all but perhaps some other hardware problem.

The computer is internally clean (and kept clean of dust every few weeks) so I dont think it could be a short or similar problem and I am now thinking that it may be my motherboard that is broken or shorting somewhere. I am currently getting the blue screen of death everytime I try to boot with a Stop error message and the usual "windows encountered a problem and has shut down to prevent damage to your system".

So the question is - does anybody have any ideas as to what sort of problem this could be. I could strip my system down and do a motherboard change as the spare I have seems to be compatible with my current system - but I am not an expert and would prefer to do this only if absolutely necessary.

Grateful for any pearls of wisdom anyone may have.

silverous 12:16 20 May 2008

Have you tried re-seating the memory?
Does the blue screen give you any information about a particular problem?

Ditch999 12:20 20 May 2008

Remove and replace the cables relating to your HDD and try a different power connector from the PSU.

kjrider 12:22 20 May 2008

Re plug and reseat all connectors (the CPU should not need it!)

Can you try out your old HD in another PC?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 20 May 2008

What is the stop error number 0x00.....?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone