If I was to pay for computer security software

Benontheroad 11:19 01 Nov 2006

Hello

I was hoping to get some advice : I am considering paying for a computer security software package and I was wondering whether anyone had any preferences towards anyone provider?

I currently run:

Zone Alarm
Windows Defender
Avast
Spyware Blaster
Ad Aware
CCleaner
Spyware Terminator

Why, I hear you ask, do I need anything else? Well, I was hoping to get an 'all in one' package so I just need to deal with one product rather than say 10.

Also, I only have the basic versions of the above software and the paid versions seem to offer more protection

Any replies would be appreciated, it is a real minefield looking for good software on Google

johnnyrocker 11:24 01 Nov 2006

i would say nowt else required and i doubt there is an "all in one" that would give complete cover.

johnny.

anskyber 11:33 01 Nov 2006

I use this click here but I still use from time to time some scanners like AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy which to be honest have only found current session cookies.

Belatucadrus 11:41 01 Nov 2006

I don't like the all in one packages from a security viewpoint as it offers a single point of attack. Of the ones you've listed only:- Spyware Blaster and Ad Aware don't offer full automatic updates so there may be an argument for paying for the commercial versions if you want. other than that I'd say you were more than covered.
Don't forget to set the ScreenSaver to "avast! antivirus" if you haven't already done it.

Benontheroad 11:46 01 Nov 2006

Thanks people - how do you mean set the screen saver to avast anti virus - you mean my standard screen saver?

Belatucadrus 11:59 01 Nov 2006

Yes, if you go into Display properties via the Control panel and select avast! Antivirus from the dropdown list of available screen savers. avast! will now run a sequential scan of your system every time the screen saver starts. You can also use the Settings button to tweak how it works. Makes up for not having a scheduled scan.

Benontheroad 12:25 01 Nov 2006

cool - thanks for that Belatucadrus

birdface 12:41 01 Nov 2006

Hi, Dont know if you have tried this one, Think you get a 3 or 4 month trial period, Worth a try,Unfortunately there is no one program that will clear all Problems,Think this one is the nearest, You will want the full program one, Or try the full system scan first, to see what you think, Takes about an hour, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?