If i wanted to Hide my IP, Which program is best?

bob dob 22:19 25 Feb 2011

Hi,
Hypothetical question- If i wanted to make a donation to Wikileaks (controversial, i know) but didn't want to help, which IP Hiding program would anyonr recommend please?

Quiller. 22:33 25 Feb 2011

Use a private proxy server

rdave13 23:15 25 Feb 2011

I believe that even through a proxy server you can, eventually, be found if the Law is involved.
If you want to donate to Wikileaks then just do so.

bob dob 23:26 25 Feb 2011

I see. Dont ip hiding programs work then?

rdave13 23:37 25 Feb 2011

Up to a point but the proxy servers will have your info otherwise they won't work and you will not get the info required. Remember they only 'hide' you but you are still leaving a trail. If the proxy server host is required, by law, in this country anyway, to divulge information, through a court order, then they must do that. Depends which Country the servers are, I suppose, and where laws are different.

bremner 09:43 26 Feb 2011

This is one of the most widely used click here

It can cause some degradation in browser performance.

Proclaimer 10:07 26 Feb 2011

I use Hide IP Easy - click here Note though as bremner says, it slows the browser down.

Jollyjohn 16:43 26 Feb 2011

Why not use some one elses computer? Such as the local library - usually free, remember to delete browsing history before you log off

bob dob 17:12 26 Feb 2011

Thank you all, some great answers there!!

ACOLYTE 14:15 27 Feb 2011

I use the same as Proclaimer,and its quite effective,i only use it to watch US TV programs that i wouldn't usually be able to see because of where i am,it does slow you down,but it not that bad if you have a good connection.One thing i would say is when you use these type of programs they do open a lot of ports on the pc some of witch can leave you open to attacks from nasties so use with care.

bob dob 20:54 03 Jul 2011

Hi, what i should change my question to is are there any free hide ip programs out there please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?