If i upgrade to Vista will my games still work?

Krisps 20:59 11 Jan 2007

I know it is crazy to jump in to Vista as soon as it comes out but I cannot resist the latest of everything.
I have run Wuindows Vista Advisor tool and it reports on my basic programs, but can anyone tell me if I am likely to have any problems with my fairly extensive library of Games.

Totally-braindead 21:04 11 Jan 2007

I have no idea. Bearing in mind what happened when they brought XP out I would think that there is a good possability that you might have a problem with some of them. If there are problems then there will be patches created for some of the games but its early days yet. Thats one of the reasons I will be waiting for some time, worries about some programs not running, games mainly, and the availability of patches if needed.
Hopefully someone who has tried it will give you a definative answer.

Technotiger 21:06 11 Jan 2007

Hi, different games are very likely to have different minimum specifications at which they will run properly, so it is impossible to say without knowing all the games and their individual minimum specifications. Older games are less likely to be compatible, while newer games will have a better chance of meeting the requirements of the games, within the Vista environment.

gudgulf 21:17 11 Jan 2007

I've heard that any older games using a 16bit installer wont run..........which rules out one of my favourites,No-one Lives Forever.

Perhaps more of a problem is in the sound department.

Vista will only give full positional sound in the Open Al format.Very few games currently support that.

Creative are making some drivers for the X-Fi series cards to convert the sound stream from all games into Open Gl on the fly so that you can still have full positional and EAX sound...........But it's only going to be for the X-Fi cards.Older Audigy and SoundBlaster cards don't appear to be in line for these drivers.

Of course when it actually hits the shelves the reality might be different......but as a frequent player of many older games I will be holding off upgrading until I know for certain what will and what wont run under Vista.

gudgulf 21:18 11 Jan 2007

Err....That should read "Open Al" not "Open Gl"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?