If I buy a USB External hard drive can I ...

Plug it into my existing (ailing) pc and drag my Documents into it?
Does much formatting have to take place or does it plug in and go? (I am on XP)
Also, I have a laptop also, could you download all the files from the PC and then unplug and connect to the laptop and do the same?
(although actually the two are networked so I could drag and drop from My network places, accessing the laptop via the PC).
Any recommendations of what/where to buy would also be appreciated, many thanks :)

SLAYER 10:09 25 Feb 2007

Somthing like this.
click here

if you are going to buy a usb drive i would recomend you get a large enough drive to back up both your computers. something like acronis true image or norton ghost would take a snap shot of your system and store it on your usb drive. as for what and where try click here the customer reviews are usually pretty accurate even if you but elswhere

Would it be ok to put documents on it? Do you think Seagate or Western Digital?

yes you can put what you like on it, it is just the same as your hard drive on the computer seagate or western? both good brand name your choice realy look at the reviews and buy the biggest size you can afford

wotbus@ 10:43 25 Feb 2007

Debe. Yes to your first question. No to the second, they come formatted usually. Yes to the 3rd question. Lastly, I imagine on-line shopping in your location would be your best bet and as mentioned before, buy the largest capacity within reason.

ed-0 11:01 25 Feb 2007

" Any recommendations of what/where to buy would also be appreciated,"

Get one with a 7200 rotational speed and with atleast a 8Mb cache ( buffer ). These will perform faster than the cheaper 5400rpm 2 mb cache external hard drives.

If you want one today and you have a ocal PC world around. The order t on line and you can pick it up in store at the cheaper price. just make sure you pick the " go to local store " tab.

this for instance is not bad for £82 click here This is cheaper click here but just has a 2mb cache buffer. So for a couple of extra quid you get a better faster drive.

sheila.weston 11:04 25 Feb 2007

Mine is a Seagate and it worked like a dream from the word go. I plugged it in and I was off. I can't remember if there was a CD disc with it, but I think not.

PA28 11:34 25 Feb 2007

Why not buy a caddy and drop into it whatever drive you fancy. You will need to format it, like any other drive, but that shouldn't be a problem. The advantage with a caddy is that you can use old hard drives for backups, then tuck them safely away and fit a new drive in the caddy. They're not expensive - allow about £20 for the caddy plus the OEM cost of any new drive you want to put in it. If you are using a drive out of an old computer, then the cost is just that of the caddy!

SLAYER 14:30 25 Feb 2007

go with PA28, perfect advice.

Thanks for all the advice I'll have a think about the caddy adea too!
I was going to go for a 320 GB Western Digital 7200 "Book" with the 8mb buffer for £72 delivered.will have a good look tonight, thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone