iexplorer.exe - is it MALWARE?

AngeTheHippy 11:14 04 Jan 2009

Morning Chaps... HAPPY 2009!!

Just been configuring a new Lappy (online) hope to purchase and receive before I ceremoniously set fire to this one. Even after the reformat a month back it's sooooooo slow it's unbelievable. Just noticed though, when Ctrl/Alt/Delete, quite a lot of memory is being used by iexplorer.exe - NOT to confuse it with explore.exe which I believe is Kosher. This iexplorer hasn't been flagged by either AVG or SuperAntiSpyware, and I've noticed there are a LOT of files found (spyware) whenever I scan.

Can you pls advice whether I'm thinking alon the right lines re. this iexplorer.exe? If I am, how on earth do I get rid of the thing?

Thanks,

AngeTheHippy
xx

BaboonBoy22 11:19 04 Jan 2009

iexplorer.exe is Internet Explorer so you probably dont want to get rid of that ;)
All the files that your getting when you scan. Are they just tracking cookies?

AngeTheHippy 11:22 04 Jan 2009

mmm ... I've seen other mention online of iexplore (no R at the end) rather than iexploreR which IS legitimate... are you maybe confusing with that?

A

Pamy 11:22 04 Jan 2009

see this forum click here

AngeTheHippy 11:28 04 Jan 2009

we're on the same wavelength then 8-D.... just been looking at this link, I'll go and look for 'HighJack This' and be back.....

AngeTheHippy 11:35 04 Jan 2009

just d/loaded and have got a notebook log of findings. Should I copy n paste onto here please??

A

BaboonBoy22 11:37 04 Jan 2009

oh yea sorry my bad, misread the extra R. you might want to try this also:
click here

mocha 12:27 04 Jan 2009

Hi AngeTheHippy,

Download click here install latest definitions, restart your computer and run in safe mode. This malware has known parasite popups that will also infect your computer.

To Start in safe mode keep tapping the F8 key when computer is starting up.

Good Luck.

AngeTheHippy 18:12 04 Jan 2009

I've done scans with AVG and SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode. I've deleted Firefox because however many times I TRY and go set Explorer as default browser, I get Firefox pop up when I want a new site/page etc etc.

I can't get Explorer (6)to load new page when I try, all I get is: Application not found with a red X to the left and OK. No other choices. This points to me like a Virus infection.

I've tried d/loading both Firefox and Explorer with the same result - Application not found.

Any ideas, chaps?

Sea Urchin 18:15 04 Jan 2009

Did you run Malwarebytes in safe mode as per mocha's link?

AngeTheHippy 18:22 04 Jan 2009

Sea Urchin, just keep getting the same bally small window 'Application not found' and the red X. It opens another window but absolutely nought happens.

A

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone