iexplorer doesn't launch

User-9F8AF0A3-F852-43C6-8A7B55A65FE9307D 12:39 14 Nov 2009

Internet explorer stops at the white background & then an error message appears to say that explorer encountered a problem & must close. Next the same error message but relating to Dr Watson debugger & then explorer stops responding. Fortunately I have Firefox installed but pages don't always display properly.
Any ideas please re the explorer problem ?

Sea Urchin 12:47 14 Nov 2009

Go to Start - Run - type iexplore.exe and click OK. Does IE open then?

If not right-click IE icon on desktop and select Start Without Add-ons - what happens then?

Start run etc leads to same result as clicking on the icon. Right click etc doesn't offer the Start without add ons option.

Sea Urchin 13:52 14 Nov 2009

Then go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - and select Internet Explorer (no add-ons).

Sea Urchin 13:55 14 Nov 2009

Also try Control Panel - Internet Options - and change your Home Page to Use Blank - Apply and OK. Then see if IE will open.

Sea Urchin you are a star! Explorer now runs. Is tha it or is there some sort of follow up action required?

More haste less speed I think! Using the desk top icon leads me back to square one. Obviously, I need to find out which add-on is causing the problem.

Sea Urchin 14:05 14 Nov 2009

So which of those two suggestions worked - the No add-ons or the changing Home Page?

Sea Urchin 14:08 14 Nov 2009

Sorry - cross posted. Yes, you need to find out which one is causing the problem.

Sorry. we both seem to be talking at the same time. The system tools option worked. The control panel option didn't work. Same result as square one.

T0SH 14:16 14 Nov 2009

Unless you made a typo in the Header you are trying to run a virus

Hint The Internet Explorer exe is iexplore.exe

iexplorer.exe is a virus

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone