iexplore.exe using up cpu

magnus35 23:28 10 May 2008

Windows XP SP2
Although I have Tiscali broadband and visit their site to log in and check email , this is not my homepage (MSN) .
The problem is that , whilst visiting Tiscali site , cpu usage fluctuates and often is in excess of 90% , slowing everything down . Task Manager reveals the culprit to be iexplore.exe . Moving to any other site brings things back to normal .
Scans with AVG( both 7.5 and 8.0 ) and Superantispyware come up clear .
Can anybody suggest what might be happening ?

rdave13 23:59 10 May 2008

Try updating superantispyware again and downloading asquared (google for it) updating then reboot to safe mode, click here ,tap F8 (sometimes F5 on some PC's) on boot-up.
Run asquared then SAS and reboot to normal mode. Run SAS again. You might have some malware there.

birdface 08:57 11 May 2008

Someone with the same problem.click here

magnus35 14:29 11 May 2008

Thanks for the responses .
Task Manager lists iexplore.exe just once .
Could the fact that the problem occurs only when visiting the Tiscali pages indicate that the site content is to blame ?

birdface 09:51 12 May 2008

Looks like the Tiscali site that is the problem then.The next time that you are in it,Try View. Web page Privacy policy. See if there is anything disabled on it,If so enable it and see if that helps.

Sea Urchin 11:52 12 May 2008

I presume you are not running both AVG 7.5 and 8.0 together?

birdface 12:07 12 May 2008

I would presume it is the AVG A/Virus and the A/Spyware programs that he means.

Sea Urchin 12:11 12 May 2008

AVG 8.0 includes the antispyware

magnus35 12:24 12 May 2008

AVG 7.5 was uninstalled as part of the process of installing AVG 8.0 .
The high cpu usage persisted for about 2 weeks but , on visiting the Tiscali site twice so far today , things seem to be running as normal .
It could be that they have identified and rectified a problem , although I couldn't see any mention of it .
Will post back if it changes again .
Thanks for your attention .

magnus35 14:20 13 May 2008

Problem has reappeared.
Full scans , including asquared in safe mode , reveal nothing .
What is iexplore.exe ? Could / should I remove it ? It is not listed in processes when first logging on to internet , however , explorer.exe is . Don't they serve the same purpose ?

birdface 15:10 13 May 2008

iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?