Iexplore.exe application error

nissanalmera 19:29 18 Apr 2010

Running Dell Dimensions desktop with XP and Explorer 8.Just recently started getting error message and attacks which Norton is defending OK. Message-Iexplore.exe - Application Error " The instructions at 0x66eb7776 referenced memory at 0x66fa1250 The memory could not be read.Press ok to terminate." Its a nuisance but the constant attacks Norton is seeing to is more of a threat. I have used webroot spy, Malwarebytes,Superantispyware,to no avail.Other than moving to another browser,can anyone help? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 18 Apr 2010
  nissanalmera 20:19 18 Apr 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat for your prompt response.However I'm a bit confused,I found a hot fix for memory not read but this was for eplorer 6 and states use only for exact purpose.Can you guide me? Thanks

David_2010 07:40 20 Apr 2010

Hello,

May I suggest to try to setup manually the pagefile.
For the number, I would use 1.5 x the amount of physical RAM you have, so for example: if you have 1Gb of RAM, then use 1500 MB
For doing so:
- Left click on My Computer and select Properties
- Go to the Advanced Tab to the right and click on “settings” beside Performance
- In the performance section, click on “Advanced” tab
- In the lower box you will see Virtual Memory, click on “Change”
- set the number for both “Initial size (MB)” and “Maximum size (MB)” ( 1.5 x the amount of physical RAM)
- click on set - You will have to reboot your system

What is the version of Norton you are using?
I would advise to use the latest version available: Norton 2010
click here
And if you have any problem with your product key or your Norton account, I will suggest to contact the Norton Support: click here

I hope this can help,
David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the Norton Support website or the Norton Community

birdface 08:02 20 Apr 2010

You could try Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and press reset.That resets Internet Explorer to its original state.
You may have to go into add-ons and enable some of them again after use.Also if you use spywareblaster you have to enable all of the protection again.

Or maybe use this tool to do it for you.

click here

nissanalmera 13:16 20 Apr 2010

Thanks David_2010.I have increased virtual memory but to no avail.I have Norton suite 2010.Thanks again

nissanalmera 13:22 20 Apr 2010

Thanks buteman,I'm a bit afraid resetting Explorer. Will it remove all including antivirus Norton from desktop and will add on's that I need be still available? Thanks

birdface 13:54 20 Apr 2010

As far as I know it will only disable some of your add-ons thats all it ever does with me.Just a matter of enabling them again.

nissanalmera 14:18 20 Apr 2010

Thanks again buteman.There seems to be a lot that gets deleted when you reset.I'm not sure after seeing the list.I have started using Explorer without any add ons and Firefox without getting any messages making Firefox default browser. I know I'm a coward but some OAP's are like that with my limited knowledge. I do thank you again Ian

David_2010 16:12 21 Apr 2010

Hello,

Perhaps one of the solution would be to re-install IE8.
Have you tried disabling those option:
- Browser Protection
- Safe Surfing

By the way, do you have all of the latest Windows XP updates ?

I hope this can help.
David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the Norton Support website or the Norton Community

David_2010 16:12 21 Apr 2010

Hello,

Perhaps one of the solution would be to re-install IE8.
Have you tried disabling those option:
- Browser Protection
- Safe Surfing

By the way, do you have all of the latest Windows XP updates ?

I hope this can help.
David
Norton Support

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?