iexplore.exe

budget84 11:14 13 Oct 2009

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. My internet and laptop is always running slow and the green light constantly flickers on my laptop like something is contantly running in the background. I queried this a few months back and took the advice from all and ran certain programmes etc.

However, I'm still having problems and there is something I've noticed and wondered if anyone knows anything about it. I was told a few months ago to access a certain website where you can type in the programmes/processes that are running and also the programmes than run at start up to see if they are needed and if they are potential viruses. On my running processes I have 2 processes of the same name iexplore.exe. I typed this into the website and there are many definitions for this name, one of them obviously being internet explorer. But as I have 2 of them running I wonder if one of them is a virus as it says on the website that sometimes this iexplore.exe can be a virus and must be removed. How can I tell which one is the safe one and which one is the virus?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

budget84 11:21 13 Oct 2009

P.S. I also have 9 processes running of the same name svchost.exe This could be safe and could be to do with Win32 services according to the website. However I have 9 of them and there is a lot of definitions on this site that are also viruses for the same name. How do I differentiate between them? There shouldn't be 9 running surely?

OTT_Buzzard 11:23 13 Oct 2009

You'll have one instance of iexplore.exe for each *tab* you have open in internet explorer (each tab is essentially a fresh copy of IE).

This may account for your extra instance?

Wetwilly2005 11:24 13 Oct 2009

You may very well have a virus known as a trojan horse, that infects internet explorer and opens a doorway to your computer what i would recommend is download a good anti-virus like Avast home, Get Firefox, delete internet explorer all together and then run a full scan.

OTT_Buzzard 11:24 13 Oct 2009

svchost's are generally needed - they are service hosts.

To see what they are doing, right click on the svchost you are interested in and select "goto services".

OTT_Buzzard 11:25 13 Oct 2009

(having 9 svchosts, or a lot more than that, is not unusual)

budget84 11:29 13 Oct 2009

Thank you, that explains the iexplore.exe.

However when I right click on the svchost the 'go to services' option is not on the list?

Wetwilly2005 11:32 13 Oct 2009

What version of internet explorer are you running ?

OTT_Buzzard 11:32 13 Oct 2009

Can't quite remember, but I don't think the option is available in XP.

Assuming that's the OS you are using?

budget84 11:33 13 Oct 2009

Yes I am on XP

budget84 11:39 13 Oct 2009

I'm sorry Wetwilly2005 only just noticed your post. Please bare with me I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to computers...not sure how I find out which verison of IE I'm running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017