IEXPLORE.EXE

muddypaws 11:34 25 Mar 2006

I have two entries for this in Task Manager/ Processes. Both in large case. One is showing 27704K usage the other 2056K. I have two IE windows running.
In windows 'search' I have six entries all in capitals:
1. in Google search.
1. in C:\Programme Files\Internet explorer.
1. in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
1. in G:\Programme Files\Internet Explorer ( 'G' being system backup)
2. in G:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.

There are 2x .PF numbers if they are of any help.
A web search gives conflicting ideas as to which are OK and which are not. Virus scans reveal nothing. It came to light when doing a NAV definition update with a warning ' Malicious Script. Win Script Host Shell Object'. ' Your computer has been halted and needs to do something about this script'. I chose the 'stop' option which exited the update. The warning still re-appears on updating NAV. No adverse effects apparent on my PC. OS- Win. XP.SP2. Any observatons please.

ACOLYTE 13:21 25 Mar 2006

If you have two IE pages open then you will see two instances of iexplore.exe in the task manager one for each page open,the prefetch is windows way of opening web pages quicker is learns what pages you visit most and caches this page locally then the next time you open it, it doesnt have to download all the content again.As for the script i am not sure.

muddypaws 17:12 25 Mar 2006

Acolyte. It is just that the words 'IEXPLORE.EXE' are included in the warning. Having looked at click here it seems to suggest from the comments that it could be dangerous. I admit that with IE not open I have no entries in task manager. Perhaps it is a false alarm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?