IEEE1394 card compatibility

Newby 09:19 30 Jun 2004

I have just bought a Canon MV5i digital video camera which has MiniDV (tape). I am wondering if it will show on my non-digital TV.
I have also JUST ordered an IEEE1394 PCI card and cable to fit in my computer which is a Dell Dimension 4100, 933MHz CPU and Windows Me.
I am completely new to firewire and have just learned a bit about it from a thread in this helproom.
Questions! Am I liable to have any problems connecting my camers to the TV?
What if any are the potential problems and pitfalls in viewing and editing my video film on my computer?
I'd welcome your advice.
Thanks.

GroupFC 10:26 30 Jun 2004

I have a Canon MV530i which is, I believe, an earlier model to yours. I have no problem hooking this up to my non-digital TV and playing the tapes.

As to the second question, I am not sure. Video-editing uses a considerable amount of resources and the resulting files can be huge (particularly avi files which can be as big as 1GB for about 4 mins of video!). My experience of video-editing is that you need considerable patience and a fair amount of time, but I have only just started dabbling in it.

When I get home tonight (if nobody has posted any before then!), I'll have a look for some useful links to point you in the right direction.

In the meantime here's one to get you started click here

stlucia 13:32 30 Jun 2004

I don't have your particular camera but, providing it had DV-out (they all have, I'm sure), you can just plug it into your firewire (IEEE1394) or USB socket on your PC for downloading. Also, it will probably come with a set of leads for connection to a normal TV.

So far as editing on your PC is concerned, your processor is adequate (I use a 600Mhz Athlon) for the initial 'capture' (download from the camera -- the only bit of the process that happens in real-time), and editing using one of the main softwares (Pinnacle, Ulead, etc.). The only thing that's going to be slow is 'rendering', which is the process of creating an output file once you've finished editing your movie (it takes over 12-times the movie duration on my PC). As GroupFC says, the only other thing you'll need is a shed-load of HDD capacity -- best to get the biggest drive you can afford, and reserve it for movies only.

When you've finished editing and rendering, you have the option to save it back onto a DV tape in your camera, if your camera has a DV-in facility. Or you can burn it onto a CD or DVD to play through your domestic DVD player.

Newby 16:23 30 Jun 2004

GroupFC and stlucia,
Thank you both for your input. I haven't yet fitted the IEEE1394 card into my computer, but I will let you both know how I get on. (Incidentally,I ordered the card and cable yesterday and they arrived this morning!!! - from Cable Universe Ltd., have you heard of them?)
Talk to you again when I have results - and thank you again.)

GroupFC 22:15 30 Jun 2004

As promised a few sites to help get you going (not in any particular order!):- click here click here click here

Newby 06:40 02 Jul 2004

Yesterday I added my IEEE1394 card to my computer, loaded the software (Pinnacle Studio 7 Special Edition) and loaded and edited my first film - just a little one! Thank you for your threads. It does ollk as if I shall have to buy a DVD+RW-RW CD. I'm really pleased with the results so far, no doubt I'll encounter problems - don't we all but, so far so good. Thanks again.

Newby 06:42 02 Jul 2004

No, I'm not dislectic! ollk = look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017