IE8 problem

sunnystaines 13:19 16 Apr 2010

If i open IE8 via favourites - all OK

If i open via quick launch icon on lower left screen or via start - I.E.

I get an error box appear

"INTERNET EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING"
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, windows will close the program & notify you if a solution is available.

now if i click the close program button on this error box, I then get the tabs have been recovered and all is OK

sunnystaines 13:20 16 Apr 2010

Tried reset IE not help, deleted flash player no help either, i think its related to a recent ms update but before dismantling them looking to see if others are getting this or solved it.

T0SH 13:57 16 Apr 2010

The IE icon in the quick launch area is a shortcut you can delete it then create a new shortcut on your desktop and drag it into the quick launch area

Cheers HC

sunnystaines 16:01 16 Apr 2010

just unpinned from task bar and repinned it [using w7] but still getting same problem

i remember there used to be a repair function for internet explorer other than the reset button but cannot remember where it is unless its no longer exists

northumbria61 16:24 16 Apr 2010

Are you connecting via LAN ?

If so try this:

Go to Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and uncheck the Automatically detect settings checkbox

sunnystaines 16:29 16 Apr 2010

tried this just now no joy. i also took off home page protection in SAS not joy their either.

northumbria61 19:13 16 Apr 2010

sunnystaines - have you tried suggestion by TOSH above - ei. deleting the IE icon in the quick launch area and creating a new shortcut etc.?

I usually find this works for me.

sunnystaines 19:48 16 Apr 2010

windows 7 just gives the option to unpin from the launch bar. tried that but no joy.

northumbria61 21:23 16 Apr 2010

click here

I don't know if this will help you and you may already have tried - you can reset automatically OR manually. Have you tried manually ?

Or could you revert back to IE 7 and then update to IE 8

sunnystaines 21:43 16 Apr 2010

i have tried the reset option with no luck, i have tried closing the addons too.

looked in add remove no option to go to ie7 in windows 7 O/S.

running out of ideas

northumbria61 22:05 16 Apr 2010

Hi sunnystaines - as you are no doubt aware IE8 comes with Windows 7 but it CAN be uninstalled and then reinstalled. It shouldn't have any effect on other windows applications. Take a look at my LINK - details for Windows 7. You would of course require another browser to be installed ie: Firefox or other to enable you to download IE8 again.

I can only suggest - I cannot advise one way or the other as I have never had to do this.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?