IE8 Problem

gengiscant 11:33 19 Jul 2009

If I type something into the search bar I get this.IMG]click here[/IMG]
but if I type into the google search bar I get this.[IMG]click here[/IMG]
Which of course is what I want.

I think it is probably a setting I've changed,but which one?

birdface 12:07 19 Jul 2009

If on Xp try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns it should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works Ok then.

gengiscant 07:47 20 Jul 2009

Thanks tried that,no luck,here is a screenie showing what the result was when I put in flush/dns to find out more.
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

A bit more info,this problem is on my laptop which is wirelessly networked with three desktops.
I also use OpenDNS.

gengiscant 08:01 20 Jul 2009

Also if I type in the full address,click here for example,no problems.
Its only a problem if I just stick in a couple of words.

birdface 14:58 20 Jul 2009

hi.I did meen. Run.type in. cmd. Then press ok.
Command prompt should open and just type in ipconfig /flushdns.

gengiscant 15:48 20 Jul 2009

Sorry I think you misunderstood, I only typed it to learn more about your advice, broadening my knowledge.
I am well aware of cmd prompt and tried it, but as I said it had no effect.

brundle 15:56 20 Jul 2009

Remove and re-install the Google search provider; click here

You can't delete the current default search provider, so if it's Google you'll need to change it to something else to allow deletion.

birdface 16:03 20 Jul 2009

I can only think that the top one is the address bar the other ones are search bars.Not really getting my head around the problem at the moment.

brundle 16:14 20 Jul 2009

Buteman's right, you seem to be referring to the Address bar (leftmost) as the Search Bar. If you only type `ebay` into it, that's what you'll get when you press return, especially if you haven't visited the site before and autocomplete is off.

gengiscant 18:17 20 Jul 2009

My apologies,I am referring to the left hand address bar,so back to the problem.
If I type a word ,in this case it was Edinburgh, on the laptop I got this :IMG]click here[/IMG]

On the desktop I get this :[IMG]click here[/IMG]

SO why the problem on the laptop,I have tried the flush DNS and brundles suggestion, no luck with either.

Anything else I can try?

brundle 18:31 20 Jul 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?