IE8 Favorites problem

Pine Man 09:42 16 Apr 2010

I have the latest version of IE8 with the menu bar switched on.

If I select a site from the Favorites MENU on the menu bar the home page changes to the site that I have selected - as I would want it to do.

If I select a site from the Favorites BUTTON (the one with the gold star next to it) the home page remains on view BUT in the background a tab has been started with the site that I have selected and I have to click on that tab before I can see it. Why doesn't it behave 'normally'? Can it be changed?

Sea Urchin 11:40 16 Apr 2010

Tools - Internet Options - Tabs and Settings. Select the setup you want.

Pine Man 11:51 16 Apr 2010

Thanks for your input.

I have been playing with those settings and have now got IE8 to switch to the new tab when it is created BUT I cannot stop it creating a new tab every time I select a new site from the favorites button.

Sea Urchin 12:55 16 Apr 2010

A few bits and pieces about tabbed browsing in IE8 - the third one might be particularly relevant. Have a look at these:

click here

click here

click here

Woolwell 13:08 16 Apr 2010

Are you accidentally clicking on the blue arrow to the right of the favorite link? click here

Pine Man 17:12 16 Apr 2010

No just clicking on the name of the site.

Sea Urchin

Tried your links and the advice in the third one but no good.

I have also noticed that I have the options set to open a link in a new tab but when I click on a link I get a new window opening!!

It is really strange that opening a site from the favorites menu works properly but using the favorites button does not:-(

I think I have a rogue installation but won't loose too much sleep as my main browser is Firefox and I wouldn't have noticed this issue if my wife hadn't used IE8 by mistake this morning.

Thanks for your help but I think I'll call it a day and put it down to a case of microsoftitis!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017