IE8 Don't laugh, Google has it always done this ?

mooly 11:57 26 May 2010

One of those daft questions that's bugging, and I am not sure if it has always done this.

Important info... I have my mouse set to single left click, which I prefer.

SO

Why do I have to do a very quick double left click to return to the google home page from leaving a website.

eg,
1. Go to Google home page.
2. Type BBC... which brings up pages of choices.
3. Enter a site (eg BBC) from list, navigating through the site with foward and back buttons at top left of toolbar.
4. Using the "back" button there is no problem until I reach the point where I should return back to Google.

At this point hovering the cursor over the back button shows googles address followed by "slash" and the site I have just been in, so it always keeps opening that particular site.
Have to do a smart double click to get back to Google.

Why ?

If I do the same from "Bing" there is no problem, the back button takes me right back to Bing home page with single clicks.

The clue of course is that when leaving a site and hovering the cursor over the "back" button it always shows google followed by the last site address, as where you are going to end up.

gengiscant 12:02 26 May 2010

I have had similar problems this morning, not being able to back button to the original Google page. Must be a Google problem.

northumbria61 12:06 26 May 2010

At the top left hand corner of your screen on Internet Explorer you will find (next to where you type in the URL) a blue "down-pointing" arrow which says "recent pages" - this will take you back to what you want.

Audio~~Chip 12:06 26 May 2010

I have also found this bug and looking into it at the moment. Its not IE.8 but google thing just seems to have started today. Spooky eh

If I manage to source more info then I will post back as you cannot fix google. I just tried and it sticks on the webpage not letting me go back

Google please fix this!

northumbria61 12:07 26 May 2010

I don't know if it is something Google have just added but I just recently discovered it having had the same problem.

mooly 12:07 26 May 2010

How strange... thought it was just me.
Thanks

mooly 19:46 26 May 2010

Even more strange... now it's OK.

I'll wait 'till tomorrow before giving it the "resolved" tick.

Sea Urchin 21:02 26 May 2010

It's not a Google thing - as it works perfectly normally in Firefox. And it works correctly in IE7. So I suspect that it's a Windows update for IE8 which has inadvertently altered the use of the back button, but only in Google. I had two different people phoning me this morning with this query.

Audio~~Chip 22:25 26 May 2010

Going into IE.8 Internet Options - Advanced - run the Restore and reset options close the browser open the browser clean out all history, autocomplete etc close IE then re-open ?

Audio~~Chip 22:41 26 May 2010

Google Problem now fixed apparently

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?