IE8 can't open PDF's on HMRC website

PalaeoBill 10:18 10 May 2010

Using IE8 under XP SP3:
When trying to open the PDF's of PAYE P60s or submitted VAT returns on the HMRC website, all I get is a blank page. IE8 goes through the motions of loading the page and it does say 'Done' at the bottom but its just a blank page that gets presented.
I can open other PDF's on the HMRC website such as the various support bumf for tax returns, just not the details of the info I have completed on-line.

I have the latest Acrobat Reader installed and I've tried back pedalling through a couple of previous versions with no joy. I've also tried it with the pop-up blocker on and off.

If I use FireFox rather than IE8, everything works just fine. Please no responses in the vein of 'Use FireFox then'. I want to get to the bottom of why IE8 is having problems.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

bremner 11:06 10 May 2010

Can you provide a link to one of the pdf's you can not open to assist sorting the problem.

bremner 11:15 10 May 2010

Having looked at the HMRC site I guess the pdf's you are trying to access are personal and available only after log in.

It appears to be a security issue with IE8. You could try adding the HMRC website to your Trusted sites list.

Navigate to the HMRC website then

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites

Ensure in teh Add this website box it has the HMRC address then Add

PalaeoBill 11:57 10 May 2010

Thanks bremner; no luck with that but good thinking.
I have however found a solution (on the HMRC website no less) that works.

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->
under Security, ensure the ‘Do not save encrypted pages to disk’ is checked.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?