IE8

123joey123 12:18 01 Aug 2010

I installed Windows 7 and IE8. Internet Explorer either takes ages to load or hangs up. It is fine in Firefox and I'm ok with Firefox but would sometimes like to use IE for other purposes.Anyway of fixing?
Thanks

provider 2 12:41 01 Aug 2010

Add-ons continue to be the most common cause of slow IE8 loading or "IE has encountered a problem ... etc" errors.

The routine is to load it without any add-ons and see if that`s all right, then go through enabling one by one until you find the culprit (s).

You can also check in the Add-on Manager to see how long each add-on is taking to load.

Google Toolbar is a common culprit and there` no alternative, I think, but to dump it.

123joey123 13:37 01 Aug 2010

Thanks. I took out the Google tool bar and an immediate improvement

provider 2 14:04 01 Aug 2010

Good to hear it worked ... I had to do the same and remove Google Toolbar completely because it caused IE8 to hang when loading to such an extent that it wouldn`t load at all.

Manage Add-ons (Tools) said it was taking 4 mins to load, but that was actually how long I was prepared to sit waiting for something to happen.

I think IE8 also runs better and quicker generally without it. Pity really ... I rather liked it, but Google has shown no interest in fixing it, which is hardly surprising now that they have their own Google Chrome.

123joey123 14:41 01 Aug 2010

Hi,
Since answering it has started freezing again. How do I get to Manage in W7? Used to know in XP but only just put 7 in and am feeling my way round

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone