IE7back to IE6 - desperate for help - chm files...

eddiejackr 19:07 17 Nov 2006

After downloading IE7 couldn't access windows update so wanted to roll back to IE6. I have uninstalled IE7 in Add/Remove but got message that the following files could not be found - ieeula.chm, iesupp.chm, html.iec and iexplore.chm. Rather stupidly I carried on and now I can't access any web pages at all. The connection is OK - same one I'm using now and my email works ok so it must just be within IE that there is a problem. I've tried restoring to an earlier IE7 but get same problem. Can't restore back to IE6 as it's too far back.Also the menu on the blue line at the top in IE7 has gone so I can't get into Tools or any such thing. How do i get that back? I have no idea what to do next - please someone help!!!!

Technotiger 19:13 17 Nov 2006
  VoG II 19:14 17 Nov 2006

chm files are Help files so that isn't the reason why it isn't working. iec is not a known file type.

Right click the toolbar, tick Menu bar.

anskyber 19:17 17 Nov 2006

It sounds a little complex to me. Can i ask which IE7 you tried to uninstall was it the final release version or an earlier Beta?

citadel 19:30 17 Nov 2006

could you not install firefox and use that untill you can get more info.

eddiejackr 19:55 17 Nov 2006

The only options i get if i right click the toolbar are minimize, maximize etc.

I do not know for sure but i assume it was the final release because it was a priority update when i ran windows update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017