IE7 Won't run Miniclip.com

effingpot 21:50 07 Dec 2006

Uh oh.Big prob.
My 7 year old asked me to upgrade his PC from IE6 to IE7. All went well and seemed fine until we clicked the link for click here.

The favicon pops up for a second but the page does not load and we end up with an error:

>The webpage cannot be displayed
>
>Most likely cause:
>Some content or files on this webpage require a
>program that you don't have installed

I have checked cookies - all permitted. Flash plugin is enabled as are most other things I can think of. no clues on miniclip itself.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

Technotiger 21:54 07 Dec 2006

Hi, I would advise you to redownload the latesh Macromedia Shockwave Player, then try again.

Cheers.

Technotiger 21:56 07 Dec 2006

PS - failing that, uninstall IE7 in Control Panel, Add/Remove and you will be automatically reverted to IE6.

The latter is what I had to do - I am now sticking with IE6.

effingpot 22:12 07 Dec 2006

Thanks chaps - I installed shockwave again. I know it works on IE7 as that's what I have on my own machine. Same probs: error: blank in address bar.
blah!

Technotiger 22:18 07 Dec 2006

Just 'cos it works with IE7 on your machine does not mean it will work on all machines with IE7.
I would suggest reverting to IE6.

mammak 22:23 07 Dec 2006

Got to agree with Technotiger on this I have just rolled back to IE6 on my laptop after 2 weeks of IE7 all the problems were not worth the bother and my desktops will be rolled back in the morning.

effingpot 21:00 17 Dec 2006

OK I figured it out through a process of elimination.
It was hoopaa. No idea why - the site was flagged as OK but the clue was the page clearly tried to load and was then stopped. Hoopaa i ssupposed to block sites you tell it to. Sadly it was stopping sites I had flagged it to leave alone. Oh well

So I guess my next question is whether anyone can recomment a freebie monitoring tool for my kid's pc :)

Technotiger 21:14 17 Dec 2006

for chold protection/monitoring ....

click here

squillary 03:32 18 Dec 2006

"Just 'cos it works with IE7 on your machine does not mean it will work on all machines with IE7. I would suggest reverting to IE6."

Err... doesn't that mean it's not a problem with IE7 at all then? Why uninstall something that's clearly not the problem?

In principle, isn't this just very poor advice? I'm obviously missing some very obvious detail, as usual.

Enoch 05:57 18 Dec 2006

I have to agree with squillary regarding uninstalling IE7. I have, (for the grandkids) miniclip on my XPhome PC with IE7 and have not had problems

Technotiger 06:29 18 Dec 2006

Yes, you are both missing something - effingpot is talking about two different pc's .. his own. and his 7yr old's!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?