IE7 Windows update/ Windows genuine advantage

Flying Teddy 08:34 03 Nov 2006

My windows XP Pro update system tells me that IE7 is available for download as an update (up, down, shake it all about!). If I press cancel because I don't want IE7, the box reduces to an icon in the tray and won't go away. If I interrogate the update system with a view of telling it that I don't want this update, it tells me that I "must" install WIndows Genuiine Advantage to access the update system, in order to tell it that I don't want the update. Round and round we go!

1) I don't want IE7

2) I don't want WGA (the well known spyware programme) installed on my machine.

Am I stuck with the update icon periodically splashing my screen with news of an unwanted update forever? Or is there a way round this?

I'd be grateful for any guidance...

VoG II 09:00 03 Nov 2006
  anskyber 09:04 03 Nov 2006

You will still need to validate your windows to use the blocker. I have no problem with MS reducing piracy.

anskyber 09:11 03 Nov 2006

I do not know how far you got, you say you "cancelled" but the MS site says "If a user selects “Don’t Install”: The notification process will not re-prompt the user to install at a later time; however, any user who is a local administrator will be able to install Internet Explorer 7 at any time as an optional update from the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites or from the Microsoft Download Center."

Are you able to retrace yur steps to select as above.

anskyber 09:11 03 Nov 2006

This is the full text. click here

anskyber 09:18 03 Nov 2006

If you want to start again and not have the WGA issue which the full link says will NOT be required unless you select "install" why not do a system restore to yesterday and go through the process again selecting "Don't Install".

Flying Teddy 09:24 03 Nov 2006

Thanks you for your help, I've succesfully (I think) installed the blocker tool. Whether it will remove the tray icon remains to be seen - I'll do a restart and see what happens

I too have no problem with microsoft reducing piracy. It's just the way they choose to do it that really gets under my fingernails. If they wish to interrogate my installation to validate an update that's fine, but to have an application sitting on my machine wich calls home without my knowledge, sending information outside knowledge, at indeterminate intervals (or even continuously for all I know), is too much. This may be a fine distinction for some, but that's where my line is, and MS have stepped over it.

Oops, I seem to have strayed into another forum - apologies!

Once again, and as ever, thanks to all for helping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?