IE7 suddenly stopped working

Johnny V 13:22 13 Oct 2007

Hi,

I have been using Internet Explorer 7 since launch with no problems. On wednesday evening as the PC shut down it installed some Microsoft updates that had been downloaded automatically earlier. The PC was not used on Thursday at all. Last night (friday) when the computer was booted IE wasn't working - all I could get was 'Page cannot be displayed' errors. I can still access Windows update and my antivirus (PC-cillin) will also update as normal. I have installed Firefox today and that works fine (I am using it now). Does anyone have any ideas why IE has suddenly stopped working.

Could the Microsoft updates have corrupted my copy of IE? I could carry on using Firefox but other members of the household are less computer literate and prefer Internet Explorer as they are used to it. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks

BurrWalnut 13:35 13 Oct 2007

Among the October 'fixes' was 939653, a cumulative update for IE7.

You could try going to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

Johnny V 14:04 13 Oct 2007

Wow!

I removed update 939653 and IE now functions normally again! You would think that an update would improve things, but it seems the reverse is true.

Thanks for your assistance.

BurrWalnut 14:13 13 Oct 2007

Strangely enough that particular update was corrupted when I downloaded it via the Administrator Options of Microsoft Update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?