IE7 Problem with URL Window & History

AlanHo 06:37 26 Aug 2006

The drop down window in IE7 where you type the URL no longer retains previous entries - it is totally blank.

I used to be able to click the arrow at the end of the little window where you type a URL and a drop down panel would open showing all previous typed entries.

It now opens as a blank white rectangle.

In addition the browsing history is not being retained. It will remember the sites visited during that browsing session - but if I close down IE and restart it - the history has vanished.

I do not have any software installed to prevent browsing history to be recorded.

Is there some setting I have disturbed and how do I get it back?

ianeon 07:00 26 Aug 2006

You could try updating to the latest version of IE7, that might help, it is IE7 RC1. From what you describe it sounds as if you have a "history cleaner" running somewhere in your system

€dstowe 07:02 26 Aug 2006

Can't remember the last time I typed anything in the address field. As there is such a high chance of making an error - thus not linking to the required site - that all my connections are made from Favorites or from Google.

Anyway, that isn't what you asked. Do you use Ccleaner? That will clear the address box unless you tell it not to do so. I would suppose similar programs would do the same.

AlanHo 08:30 26 Aug 2006

I have already updated to IE7 RC1 but the problem remains.

I am not aware of any history cleaner on my computer - other than Crap Cleaner which I run occasionally. I accept that Crap Cleaner will remove the browsing history - but I have not run it for several weeks and the problem remains.

splatter 11:20 26 Aug 2006

ZoneAlarm security suite? This can also remove any browsing history/typed URL's/Cookies so on and so forth

AlanHo 11:42 26 Aug 2006

Nope - don't use Zone Alarm.

AlanHo 08:49 03 Sep 2006

I have resolved my problem.

Quite by accident I discovered that buried in the bowels of my Telewest Blueyonder security package, is a setting which automatically removes all traces of your surfing each time you close Internet Explorer. I have unticked this item and all is now back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017