IE7 not connecting?

griffo 10:04 09 Jan 2009

Each time I open IE7 a message appears saying that my PC isn't connected to the internet and offers:- 'work offline' or 'retry'. Clicking on Retry always works.

It also sometimes does this when the browser has been idle for a while and I then try to connect to a new website.

I believe this has only syarted happening since I removed Kaspersky and installed PC Tools Internet Security 2009.

Does anyone know what's causing this please?

PO79 10:26 09 Jan 2009

In IE go to File and make sure "Work Offline" does not have a tick next to it.

birdface 10:35 09 Jan 2009

Did you use Kaspersky removal tool.click here If not worth a try.Or tools.Internet options.Advanced.And restore advanced settings.or advanced and press reset.This resets I/Explorer to it original condition.I would try other suggestions first and leave this as a last resort.

griffo 18:01 09 Jan 2009

PO79 - thanks but not that.

buteman - I removed it through Control Panel, add/remove but tried your link and ran the program and it didn't find Kaspersky.

griffo 12:15 10 Jan 2009

Any more suggestions please?

User-1229748 12:36 10 Jan 2009

you could give ccleaner a try if you don't use it already or a longer way would be to reinstall kaspersky then uninstall it using the uninstall tool.ccleanerclick here

provider 2 12:46 10 Jan 2009

Something to do with the PC Tools firewall, perhaps? You could try turning it off temporarily to see if that makes any difference.

Not an uncommon problem, apparently:

click here

griffo 17:20 10 Jan 2009

smackheadz - I do use Ccleaner but usually just for Registry issues. I have just run the Cleaner as well (excluding cookies) and will see if that helps.

provider 2 - Are these problems with the 2009 version as well? If so, why does PCA give away faulty software?

provider 2 21:50 10 Jan 2009

griffo,

I don`t know that it`s faulty, only that some people have problems with it that are not particularly easy to resolve.

Perhaps it`s to do with settings, which can be trickier in some firewalls than in others and whether this applies to the 2009 version as well, I just don`t know. The users forum doesn`t appear to be too happy though, but of course you always here more from the discontented users of any program than from those for whom it is running fine.

griffo 18:16 12 Jan 2009

Thanks again for the reply - I suspect you're right. The jury is definitely out for me with PCTIS 2009. One thing I really don't like is, it marks virtually all emails as spam - even on I forwarded from myself on another PC!!

With Kaspersky there were Spam & Not Spam buttons on the toolbar in Outlook, so training was easy. With PCTIS it appears you have to type every email address into a safe list - laborious!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?