IE7 "Lost"

m800afc 16:41 20 Jun 2008

XP Pro SP2
The icon to start IE7 has gone missing. Its not on the desktop, taskbar, or quick start, It's not in the IE folder in "Program Files" and it is nowhere to be seen in "Windows". I have looked round the back of the computer and it hasn't fallen out, and it's not behind the sofa. I have tried reinstalling IE7 but it has not improved matters. I cannot use IE& at all. (I only use it for Microsoft updates that require it to be used, as opposed to my usual Firefox.)
Does anyone have any ideas where it has gone? How can I get it back?

brundle 16:43 20 Jun 2008

Any luck if you go to start menu/run and type

iexplore

press return?

birdface 16:44 20 Jun 2008

Can you not try search and see if you can click on it and run it from there.Or a system restore to a date when you did have it.

birdface 17:41 20 Jun 2008

Maybe it fell into Taskmanager.See if iexplore.exe is in there.

m800afc 17:49 20 Jun 2008

Brundle,
Yes it does work using your method.
Buteman,
I will do a search if someone will be good enough to tell me the filename of the shortcut, (icon, or .exe,) I should be looking for.
Cheers all.

mfletch 18:01 20 Jun 2008

iexplore.exe

Or when you have it open using Brundel's way just right click on the open page and create shortcut

brundle 23:44 20 Jun 2008

iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\

m800afc 03:37 21 Jun 2008

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did a search for iexplore.exe and the result was that the file was not present. I then searched the internet for information about the file. I was unnerved by the fact that a lot of pages stating that malware exists called iexplore.exe, and the presence of a file with this name was indicative of malware on the system.
I used "Add or remove programs" to uninstall IE7 and all its updates. Using Firefox I downloaded another copy of IE7 from the Microsoft site. On installation the file was present and all is now well.
Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?