IE7 Installation Problems

jdo1 12:10 07 Nov 2006

Tried to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 via latest Microsoft update. I use Windows XP SP2
Seemed to instal OK (no error messages) but every time I start the PC the following error message occurs.
SMART BRIDGE ALERTS:MOTIVESB.EXE
ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND
The procedure entry point Get Process Image File Name W could not be located in dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
Click on OK and PC starts and IE7 appears to work fine but since installation my Norton Ghost backup always fails with the message.
Error EC8F1787 - Internal Structure of image file in invalid or unsupported.

I have uninstalled and re-installed a further twice with the same result.
Finally I uninstalled and went back to IE6 and everything seems to be back to normal.

Any ideas to enable me to instal IE7 without these problems.
JDO1

anskyber 12:12 07 Nov 2006

BT and some NTL broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"
This relates to the BT (or NTL) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB. Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe.)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

birdface 13:06 07 Nov 2006

Follow anskybers instructions, That will stop it popping up on restart,If yo are with NTL, You may be better just putting up with it at the moment, As they are working on a fix for it,And should have it soon,It also means that you wont be able to use Broadband Medic till they do.

jdo1 13:51 07 Nov 2006

Thanks anskyber and buteman.
I have no problem living with it until NTL issue fix but only if I can get Norton Ghost to back up.
Any thoughts regarding the Norton Ghost 10.0 issue?
Regards

anskyber 14:02 07 Nov 2006

There seems to be a number of people with that error but not necessarily connected to IE7. Heres a copy of one Symantec answer.

"
Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that you are unable to create the backup image and come across an error message"-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
Recovery point of C:\. Error EA39070A: The internal structure of the image file is invalid or unsupported.
Details: 0xEA39070A

Note : Please be informed as a work around we tried the below instructions on one of the customers computer which resolved the issue.

Marty, please be aware that this error can be caused on Windows XP/2000 if Norton Ghost was installed while the two VSS services are stopped. and also some issue with the SymSnap.sys driver such as if:
1) The driver does not load properly during the Windows startup process
2) The driver is not properly registered in the Windows registry
3) The driver does not exist in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder

So firstly i suggest you to check if the two VSS services "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" and "Volume Shadow Copy" are started or not in the services , if they are stopped then set it to start Automatically and then uninstall and reinstall the program and then check for the issue.

If it is an issue with the SymSnap.sys driver then check and confirm that SymSnap.sys file exist in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder and also SymSnap file appears in System Information > Software Environment > System Drivers, so if any of the above files are missing then Uninstall and then reinstall the program.

If the above files are installed then a registry key at the following location may causes the trouble
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\U serData\S-1-5-18\Components/Symsnap so change the hexadecimal value from 0 to 1.

Please follow the web-link fo the document below :

>Title: 'Error: "The internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or not supported" when creating, restoring, or browsing an image'
Document ID: 2004010648203262
Web URL: click here 62?Open&src=ent_gold_nam

So after following the above instructions if the issue is resolved mail us back with steps you followed.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,
Vamshi Krishna.H
Symantec Authorized Technical Support."

jdo1 15:28 08 Nov 2006

Thanks to all.
For information Symantec are working on a patch for Norton Ghost 10.0 to make it more compatible with IE7.
In the mean time I think I will stick with IE6

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?