IE7 encountered a problem....

rickd 18:24 17 Nov 2006

I installed IE7 a couple of weeks ago, but it kept crashing randomly out of sites with the "we apologise for the inconvenience....has to close" message. After a week of this annoyance I uninstalled it and used IE6, but reinstalled IE7 from scratch today. The same thing happens. Trying different sites I've noticed that its most particularly on sites where I'm logged in (e.g, ebay, this forum, DVD library) and try to go to a different page in that site, but its hit and miss. My other PC, which has the same security (norton) doesn't seem to have any problem with IE7 or these sites. I've got anti-phishing turned off (if that's significant?).
Any suggestions, other than go back to IE6?
Here's hoping it doesn't crash out when I try posting!

vinnyT 18:29 17 Nov 2006

Try using opera or firefox for your troublesome sites.

anskyber 18:30 17 Nov 2006

If you are having problems with Internet Explorer 7 hanging, crashing, silently closing or other bizarre behavior, an incompatible toolbar or other add-on maybe involved. The fastest way to determine if an add-on is causing the problem is to run Internet Explorer 7 with no add-ons. You can do this by going to Start, clicking All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click Internet Explorer (No add-ons). This disables all add-ons from loading in that instance of Internet Explorer. If the problem goes away, you can manually disable specific add-ons to find the specific one causing the problem. Below are instructions on how to manually disable a specific toolbar and a list of known incompatible toolbars that can cause serious issues with Internet Explorer 7.

To disable a toolbar open Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

In Windows, click the Start button.
Click All Programs.
Click Accessories.
Click System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Once you determine the toolbar causing the issue, you should uninstall the toolbar through Add or Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel and then check the toolbar’s website for an updated version.

rickd 18:48 17 Nov 2006

I checked and there are no add-ons running apparently, tho' I have google and norton toolbars. I just ran windows update and nothing new there.

anskyber 18:55 17 Nov 2006

Are the toolbars the latest versions? Have you tried disabling the toolbars to see if they are the problem?

Jackcoms 18:55 17 Nov 2006

"I checked and there are no add-ons running apparently, tho' I have google and norton toolbars"

Er, don't they count as add-ons?

They certainly don't come as standard with IE7.

anskyber 18:59 17 Nov 2006

I think if you go to tools,internet options,programs, manage add ons, you will be surprised how many you have.

Try the disable route first.

rickd 19:03 17 Nov 2006

Yep, thought that was strange, that's why I said "apparently". Have now physically turned them off, and will try running with them disabled from the start menu to see if that does it, then try reinstalling (new) versions, rather than the ones that must have migrated from IE6.
thanks

anskyber 19:07 17 Nov 2006

There is a very good chance it will be the answer, out of date add ons are an issue with IE7.

If that solves it check you java as well it may need updating to allow embedded video to run. click here

rickd 19:07 17 Nov 2006

yep, there are 11 running! will try turning some off

anskyber 19:09 17 Nov 2006

Turn them off using the method in my post Fri, 17/11/[email protected]:30

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?